Question Unanswered: Slowness of Sql Server 2005 Enterprise on Windows 2003 Ent Server

I have SQL Server 2005 Ent on a Windows 2003 Ent Server onstalled on an HP DL 380 server that has 64GB of ram. This is a 32bit environment. I've enabled PAE on the OS and the enabled AWE on SQL server.

The DBs from this server are connected to web servers accessed by hundreds of clients.

I noticed over a course of several days, the server slows down. I'll remote desktop into the machine and find navigation in windows or through sql server menus are dog slow. I currently reboot the machine nightly for fear of the slowness possibly affecting the users. I've contacted HP support who have walked me through a process to scan through all the hardware to rule out hardware issues. So far I've been able to scan all hardware except for the hard drives and corresponding controller cards. I will do that this weekend.

My question is...has anyone else in this forum experienced anything similar? And if you have, do you have any knowledge to share to resolve such an issue.

It could be queries themselves slowing the server down. Do you have a lot reports running at the time or maybe 1 really slow/resource intensive report running?

If you want to monitor everything that is happening regarding SQL, you can setup a trace and dump the results into a table. Link below:
    - SQL Performance Trace

You could also run sp_who2 when you log into the server. It is just a procedure that sits in your master database. If it is not loaded on the server, just do a quick google search and add it in. Run it and it will display all of the currently running queries, cpu usage, how long they have been running, etc. This will only work if the server is slow when you log into it.

If you find that it is SQL queries slowing you down, you will probably need to do some investigation. There is a neat tool to help you get started located here:
    - SQL Troubleshooting Tool

Hope this helps getting you started.

A trace would be a great place to start with. Did you check if any blocking are present? deadlocks? Long running queries? Index fragmentation? Stale stats? Any unusual error in the error logs?

Also, do you have maintenance jobs(Index defrag, Stats update)?

Provided Answers: 54
    There is a "tipping point" with 32 bit servers where more RAM actually causes so many PAE/AWE paging perations that net performance drops instead of increasing. Microsoft's position on PAE / AWE is described at Large memory support is available in Windows Server 2003 and in Windows 2000 and Operating Systems and PAE Support but they only discuss supoorted configurations, not practically useful ones.

If converting to 64 bit OS and SQL is an option for you, I would VERY STRONGLY recommend it.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.