Unanswered: Create an Indirect Drop Down List in a Form

I’m putting together a pretty simple database in Access 2003 and have created a data input form that will be used to populate the main table.

The data being inputted will be governed by a couple of hierarchical things:

At the top level, there will be a ‘type’ field, with either ‘Plant’ or ‘Event’ as options – I have a drop down box for them to select this

At the next level, there will be a drop down with a list of ‘subjects’. There are about 20 subject and I have put these in their own table, that the drop down selects from

At the bottom level, there will be a drop down with a list of ‘questions’ There are about 10 of these and they are in their own table that the questions drop down selects from.

What I want to happen, is that once the user selects the top level – ‘plant’ or ‘event’, the next drop down will be filtered to only show the relevant subjects and the bottom drop down to only show the relevant questions.

Both the ‘Subject’ and ‘questions’ tables have a ‘type’ field that has ‘event’ or ‘plant’ in against each record.

I know you can create an Indirect list in Excel and was hoping there is something similar that I can do in Access. Any help would be great.

If you need to see the database, ask and I will attach.

Access Database Doc

Have tried uploading the doc, but it won't upload. Can email it though unless anyone knows how I can get it on!!
    Last edited by Cydonija; 09-23-11 at 06:51.

Richmond, Virginia USA
    Provided Answers: 19
    The concept is called "cascading comboboxes" although the exact same thing applies to Listboxes with the Multi Select Property set to None, and the code is interchangeable. Here are a couple of links with examples:

Access Tips: Cascading Lists for Access Forms
    Cascading Combo/List Boxes - Microsoft Access / VBA

If you Google the term along with the "Access" you'll probably get a gazillion hits!

Linq ;0)>
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007