Unanswered: How to: Migrate single SQL 2005 to 2008 Cluster on New Hardware

I am fairly new to SQL, and I have been given the task of taking a single SQL 2005 server and migrating it to a SQL 2008 R2 cluster on completely new hardware. I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions on the best way to go about this.
    Thanks

Provided Answers: 11
    I generally go with backing up the databases on the old server, and restoring them on the new server. You will need to recreate all of the logins from the old server on the new server. after that, you will need to check to see if there are any SQL Agent jobs or replication considerations that will also need to be moved over.

Ok, that is what I planned to do originally, but saw another similar post, saying to migrate 2005 to the new server and then do an in place upgrade to 2008. So I was not sure what approach to take, especially since clustering is new to me, and the new machines will be clustered.
    Thanks for the reply.

Provided Answers: 11
    So long as the databases all live on the shared storage, there should be relatively little difference between how databases are treated/react on a clustered environment.

Provided Answers: 54
    If you have good documentation and understand the server and its usage well you can move it to a new platform pretty easily. Security is usually the hard part when someone inherits a database, because they don't know all of the logins, passwords, linked servers, etc in order to rebuild them cleanly.

Based on the original post, I would suggest:

1) Install SQL 2005 on the new hardware
    2) Restore all backups, including master and msdb.
    3) Verify that the SQL 2005 install works correctly.
    4) Upgrade SQL to SQL Server 2008 R2
    5) Verify that the SQL 2008 R2 install works correctly
    6) Upgrade SQL 2008 R2 to a single node cluster
    7) Verify that the SQL 2008 R2 single node cluster works correctly
    8) Add the second node to the SQL 2008 R2 cluster.

This involves a couple of extra steps up front, but it means that you have a rock solid stable upgrade in place, and it should have all of the security and doo-dads in place working correctly when you are done!

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

To add to what is suggested above, I would also rebuild indexes (which also update statistics) after the migration.