Unanswered: Grouping and Summing by Month in a Report without Listing by Date

I am trying to create a report that shows quantity produced by various departments over the course of the year.

Each department produces a quantity on a daily basis. I would like to sum this quantity to create a monthly total. I would like to display the data like this:

January
    ---Dept 1 - qty for January
    ---Dept 2 - qty for January
    ---Dept 3 - qty for January

February
    ---Dept 1 - qty for February
    ---Dept 2 - qty for February
    ---Dept 3 - qty for February

and so on.
    I have tried summing qty by month in the query. However, when I do this, the report treats the month field like text, not date, and sorts them alphabetically.

I have tried grouping in the report by month, but then I get individual entries for every day of the month instead of a total for each department.

Is there some way to group by month and also sum by month?

Quote Originally Posted by GLink View Post
    I have tried summing qty by month in the query. However, when I do this, the report treats the month field like text, not date, and sorts them alphabetically.
    could you please copy the sql code here please
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

This is the summed by month that gets treated like text.

SELECT DISTINCTROW [Production Log].Department, Format$([Production Log].[Order Date],'mmmm yyyy') AS [Order Date By Month], Round(Sum([Weight]/2000),2) AS [Sum Of Weight], [Production Log].Reason, [Production Log].[Order Date]
    FROM [Production Log]
    GROUP BY [Production Log].Department, Format$([Production Log].[Order Date],'mmmm yyyy'), [Production Log].Reason, [Production Log].[Order Date], Year([Production Log].[Order Date])*12+DatePart('m',[Production Log].[Order Date])-1
    HAVING (((Format$([Production Log].[Order Date],'mmmm yyyy')) Is Not Null));

Thanks!

Provided Answers: 59
    try
    Code:
    GROUP BY [Production Log].Department, Format$([Production Log].[Order Date],'yyyy mm')
    that will group by year and month. yyy returns a 4 digit year, mm returns a two digit month

I think you can simplify the having clause to
    Code:
    having not isnull([Production Log].[Order Date])
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Quote Originally Posted by healdem View Post
    I think you can simplify the having clause to
    Code:
    having not isnull([Production Log].[Order Date])
    i think you can simplify the HAVING clause down to nothing, by moving that condition to the WHERE clause where it belongs
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

Thanks! That did the trick. It still doesn't recognize them as dates, but at least the order is right.