Unanswered: Problem with Multiple Instances of a form

Hello,

I have an application that allows for multiple instances of a forms. The form has fields that when updated or changed, will trigger the recordsource of other fields on the form to change because of a requery.

The problem occurs, when I open another instance of the form, the fields of the second form inherits the query results of the first form. I thought that the forms were independent of each other.

Can anyone tell what I am not doing. Thanks!

Provided Answers: 14
    1. How do you create the other instances of the form from the firts one? The answer can explain the behaviour you describe.

2. If all instances have the same query as RecordSource, they also have the same data set, except if you use a filter on the RecordSet of an instance, where it will depend on the answer to the first question.
    Have a nice day!

Thank you for your assistance Sinndho.

Answer to question 1:
    Other instances of the form are created from a main menu screen, if the users wants another instance there is a button on the main menu.

On the form there is a Client Name field and a Job Number field. When the user selects a Client Name (from a drop down list) on the form, a query that is triggered selects all Job Numbers associated with the Client Name. The results are in a drop down list in the Job Number field. From there the user can select the Job Number he wants to view and all detail information is then displayed on the form.

The problem is when subsequent instances of the same form is opened, the Job Number drop down list contains the results of the first form instance.

I have tried the following code in the current event of the form, but to no avail:

If CurrentProject.AllForms("frmartwork").IsLoaded Then
    JobNumber.Requery
    ClientID.Requery
    End If

Any suggestions will truly be appreciated. Thanks.

1. I asked how the other instances are created, not how the user opens them. Which code is used to re-instanciate the already open form, if you prefer.

2. This:
    Code:
    If CurrentProject.AllForms("frmartwork").IsLoaded Then
    simply tests whether the first instance of the form is open or not, which is useless in these circumstances as you perform the test in the class module of the form (i.e. the form does not need to ask itself if it's open).

3. Do all instances have the same Query as RecordSource. I mean query as a permanent object in the database, not a SQL statement directly stored in the RecordSource property of the form. If yes, please post it's SQL statement.

4. If 3. hereabove is true and no filter are used (i.e. if the query contains references to controls the form in its WHERE clause), the behaviour you describe is normal and you'll have to redesign your system to provide an independant data source (at least in it's WHERE clause) for each instance of the form, or use filters.
    Have a nice day!

Hi Sinndho, again thanks for your assistance.

Answers:
    1. Other instances are created by a called function (code below):
    PHP Code:
    Public Function OpenFormInstance(FormName As StringWhereCondition As Variant)

Dim frm As Form
        Dim FormInstance 
    As Boolean
        Dim strJobNumber 
    As String
        FormInstance 
    True

Select 
    Case FormName

Case "frmClientMailSchedule"

Set frm = New Form_frmClientMailSchedule

Case "client"

Set frm = New Form_Client

Case "frmartwork"

Set frm = New Form_frmArtwork

Case Else

FormInstance False
        End Select

If FormInstance False 

Exit Function

End If

IntMoveWindow IntMoveWindow 1

If WhereCondition <> "" Then
           NewFormID 
    WhereCondition

If FormName "frmClientMailSchedule" Then
              strJobNumber 
    DLookup("[jobnumber]""mailschedule""[scheduleid] = " WhereCondition)

frm.Caption "Client Mail Schedule - Job  " strJobNumber
              frm
    .Filter "scheduleid = " WhereCondition
           End 
    If

DoCmd.MoveSize (IntMoveWindow 1) * 80, (IntMoveWindow 1) * 350

frm
    .FilterOn True

Else

DoCmd.MoveSize (IntMoveWindow 1) * 80, (IntMoveWindow 1) * 350
           frm
    .FilterOn False
        End 
    If

frm.Visible True
        mcolFormInstance
    .Add Item:=frmKey:=CStr(frm.hwnd)    

Set frm Nothing

End 
    Function 
    2. You are so right, the code I placed in the current event is useless....DUH!

3. The SQL is stored in RecordSource property of the form, the query is not a permanent object.

4. With this form, I will not be using a filter. So a slight re-design my be necessary.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks a bunch~

Can you post the code that changes the data set of a form (by altering its RecordSource property, as Filters are not used)?

Also, what are these used for in the Function OpenFormInstance?
    Code:
    frm.Filter = "scheduleid = " & WhereCondition 
    frm.FilterOn = True
    Have a nice day!

Hi Sinndho,

In the After Update Event of the Client Name field, the RowSource property is changed to (this code only selects all job numbers associated with the Client Name (i.e. ClientID):
    Code:
    Forms!frmartwork!JobNumber.RowSource = "SELECT MailSchedule.ScheduleID, MailSchedule.JobNumber FROM MailSchedule WHERE (((MailSchedule.ClientID) = [Forms]![frmartwork]![ClientID])) ORDER BY MailSchedule.JobNumber DESC;"
    The OpenFormInstance function will be executed to open new instances of all the forms in the application. Some forms that call this function can pass data to the WhereConditon argument for filtering purposes. The form that I have a problem with (frmArtwork) do not pass data to the WhereCondition argument.

The code below, the WhereCondition argument contains data used to filter on. ScheduleID is the primary key in the MailSchedule table. When executed, the Mail Schedule form opens on that specific record.
    Code:
    frm.Filter = "scheduleid = " & WhereCondition 
    frm.FilterOn = True
    I hope this makes sense. Your assistance is very much appreciated!!!!

Try replacing the reference to the form (Forms!frmartwork!...) by Me. which is a shortcut to the current instance of the form.
    Have a nice day!

Sinndho

Tried the Me. and got the same results. I am going to have to think this through. Any other suggestions are definitely appreciated.

I am a Mainframer (i.e. mainframe programmer), I just started coding in Access \VBA about a year and a half. Still learning, especially from invaluable sites such as this one and dedicated people like yourself. Thanks for the mentoring!

I know what you mean: a long time ago, I used to program in Fortran, Cobol and C on VAX computers.

Anyway, I think I've perhaps identified the culprit. There is a reference using the Forms collection in the WHERE clause too:
    Code:
    ...WHERE (((MailSchedule.ClientID) = [Forms]![frmartwork]![ClientID]))...
    You should try:
    Code:
    Me.!JobNumber.RowSource = "SELECT MailSchedule.ScheduleID, MailSchedule.JobNumber FROM MailSchedule WHERE (((MailSchedule.ClientID) = " & Me.[ClientID] & ")) ORDER BY MailSchedule.JobNumber DESC;"
    Have a nice day!

Hi Siindho,

Thanks so much for your help. All your suggestions worked, but I changed the Me.ClientID to ClientID.value and it works perfectly.

Code:
    Me.JobNumber.RowSource = "SELECT MailSchedule.ScheduleID, MailSchedule.JobNumber FROM MailSchedule WHERE (((MailSchedule.ClientID) = " & ClientID.value & ")) ORDER BY MailSchedule.JobNumber DESC;"
    Whew! Wow!.....what a week!

Have a Great Day!

You're welcome!
    Have a nice day!