Unanswered: back up database

hi can you help me, i know its possible to back up the database but the problem is how can i make this to back up my database i have no idea.

example: mydatabase

can you help me on this how to back up..by the way is it okay to transfer this from one computer to another or from the computer to laptop...so that i will never create again the database that i made before...and how am i going to access this or to use mydatabase...I hope you can help me.

Thank you in advance.

Open the Control Center and you can select the database you want to backup, and then follow the GUI interface instructions for backup.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus_A View Post
    Open the Control Center and you can select the database you want to backup, and then follow the GUI interface instructions for backup.

hi Marcus,
    thank you for the quick reply,Okay i already made the one that you said now i am going to copy this in my laptop and how am i going to access this the backup in my laptop because i want to work in my laptop.

by the way Marcus if i have some changes or update in data in my back up and transfer back again to my desktop is this will overwrite?and how to access again so that i can see the update that i made in my laptop...

Best Regards,

Jemz

Provided Answers: 11
    i think it would be better to first read something about backup/restore and about db2 in general - if the doc is not clear - the forum can help to answer some specific questions
    BACKUP DATABASE command
    Best Regards, Guy Przytula
    Database Software Consultant
    Good DBAs are not formed in a week or a month. They are created little by little, day by day. Protracted and patient effort is needed to develop good DBAs.
    Spoon feeding : To treat (another) in a way that discourages independent thought or action, as by overindulgence.
    DB2 UDB LUW Certified V7-V8-V9-V9.7-V10.1-V10.5 DB Admin - Advanced DBA -Dprop..
    Information Server Datastage Certified
    http://www.infocura.be

Quote Originally Posted by przytula_guy View Post
    i think it would be better to first read something about backup/restore and about db2 in general - if the doc is not clear - the forum can help to answer some specific questions
    BACKUP DATABASE command

hi,thank you for the reply...

I already read the manual the link that you give to me,and i am confuse to understand those arrow lines....and also what is DBPARTIONNUM i could not understand can you please enlighten my mind.

Thank you in advance

Provided Answers: 11
    in the same doc, there is a chapter : how to read the syntax diagram
    How to read the syntax diagrams - IBM DB2 9.7 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    dbpartition is for partitioned databases : see same doc .. on top left there is a box where you can put the search string to get some details
    Best Regards, Guy Przytula
    Database Software Consultant
    Good DBAs are not formed in a week or a month. They are created little by little, day by day. Protracted and patient effort is needed to develop good DBAs.
    Spoon feeding : To treat (another) in a way that discourages independent thought or action, as by overindulgence.
    DB2 UDB LUW Certified V7-V8-V9-V9.7-V10.1-V10.5 DB Admin - Advanced DBA -Dprop..
    Information Server Datastage Certified
    http://www.infocura.be

Quote Originally Posted by przytula_guy View Post
    in the same doc, there is a chapter : how to read the syntax diagram
    How to read the syntax diagrams - IBM DB2 9.7 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    dbpartition is for partitioned databases : see same doc .. on top left there is a box where you can put the search string to get some details

hi,

Okay after backuping my database in the directory C:\mybackup i have seen now the name of my backupdatabase this has alias,node,catalog node,year,month,day etc...so i copy the file folder mybackup in my flashdrive and paste it to the other laptop, so how am i going to use this backup and to work normally in the laptop...thank you in adance.more power to you