Unanswered: Professional Question: The VBA Dummy Test

I just received news yesterday that my fellow MS Access programmer is going to be leaving the company shortly. Her husband found a new job in a different state and so now she's moving.

Do any of you have any good ideas or recommendations on how I can screen people to hire them to help me work on these databases?

I'm going to send an email out to the entire company first, and include a brief line of code asking that if they can define that, then they should consider applying for the position.

What are your thoughts?
    Have you been through the hiring process for someone who programs?

I'm really new to al of this, and it was kind of thrust upon me at the last minute, so I want to make sure I do this the right way the first time, so I'm not stuck with someone who just won't make the cut.

Richmond, Virginia USA
    Provided Answers: 19
    Two things come to mind, aside from the obvious request for Access classwork taken and Access practical experience.

1. In order to insure that they weren't simply going to an Access forum for an explanation of the code you give them, they'd really have to see it, for the first time, in your presence, and explain it there and then.
    2. A better test might be to request an Access database that they've developed, and repeat # 1, this time asking for an explanation of some code from this database.

Linq ;0)>
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Great idea! I love it.

I'm writing it down now!