Unanswered: Mapping parts of documents

Hi, I'm not sure this is the right forum to post this.. but if it's not, i hope I'll be directed to it..
    I have many word documents, that contains different subjects.
    My goal is to create a list of key words(like tags) and than map the docs (preferably sections within the docs) according to those key words (manually i guess) so that every time i punch in one (or more) of those key words, i'll be directed to the specific conversation\s that contain them. (preferably the relevant section within that conversation).
    Hope i have made my needs clear..
    I was wondering what software (Access maybe?) should i use in order to achieve that goal.

Thank you very much!
    Gil.

Provided Answers: 14
    I'm not sure that Access is the best choice for this kind of application. If I had to use Access for that, here's how I would probably do it:

1. One table containing the keywords: ID (PK), KeyWord (Indexed No Duplicates)
    2. One table containing the references: ID (PK), KW_ID (Foreign key), DocName, LineNumber
    3. After the keywords are entered in the first table, I would use Automation to "read" the documents to be indexed, retrieve the matching keywords and store their references: Name of the document (DocName) and Line number (LineNumber) into the second table.
    Have a nice day!

Thank You For the detailed reply! :)

Thank You For the detailed reply!

I would not call it "detailed", but you're welcome anyway!
    Have a nice day!

One more small issue..

Hi Sinndho!
    i followed your advice and it works perfectly!
    As it turns out, i have another need on this DB - which is to be able to give one "primary" keyword for each paragraph\section (certain lines in a doc), but also to be able to give a few "secondary" key words for each paragraph\section (certain lines in a doc).
    how would you recommend me to go about doing that?

Provided that the same keyword cannot be both primary and secondary, I would add a column to the first table, which would become: ID (PK), KeyWord (Indexed No Duplicates), IsPrimary (Boolean, Indexed, Duplicates OK).

If the same keyword can be both primary and secondary, I would use the same table structure but create a composite index on KeyWord+IsPrimary (No Duplicates) that would replace the index on KeyWord.

The DDL Table definitions would become:
    Code:
    CREATE TABLE Tbl_Keywords ( ID Counter(1, 1) CONSTRAINT PK_ID PRIMARY KEY, 
                                Keyword Text(255) CONSTRAINT CNN_Keyword NOT NULL, 
                                IsPrimary Logical CONSTRAINT CNN_IsPrimary NOT NULL, 
                                CONSTRAINT UIX_KeywordPrimary UNIQUE (Keyword, IsPrimary) );
    and
    Code:
    CREATE TABLE Tbl_References ( ID Counter(1, 1) CONSTRAINT PK_ID PRIMARY KEY, 
                                  KW_ID Long CONSTRAINT FK_KW_ID REFERENCES Tbl_Keywords (ID), 
                                  DocName Text(255) CONSTRAINT CNN_DocName NOT NULL, 
                                  LineNumber Long CONSTRAINT CNN_LineNumber NOT NULL );
    Have a nice day!

All right. it would take me about 1 month

To figure out what you wrote in that script and how to apply it but you sure are very nice for writing it!
    i better get to work than. thank again

You're welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by kremerint View Post
    To figure out what you wrote in that script and how to apply it
    That's easy: Open a new query, switch to SQL View and paste one of the SQL script into it. Run the query and it will create one of the table (and it works for the second too, of course!)
    Have a nice day!

Oh so that's how you do it! thanks. sounds easy. i'll give it a try

Oh so that's how you do it! thanks. sounds easy. i'll give it a try