Unanswered: max_allowed_packet size value not changed after changing in my.cnf

Hi,

I need to increase the max_allowed_packet size value from 8M to 16M, so I have changed in my.cnf file and restarted the mysql service. Whereas when I checked the variables, it is still showing 8M.

When I used the following command "/etc/init.d/mysql restart --max_allowed_packet=16M" the max_allowed_packet getting changed to 16M but the max_allowed_packet is becoming 8M when I restarted the mysql services normally. How can I set the max_allowed_packet size permanently.

Provided Answers: 59
    just wondering if you need to change the configuration after the service has stopped?

some *nix programs write back the current configuration on shutting down and MySQL may have a similar behaviour.
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

I am not sure whether you can add in parameters after this command /etc/init.d/mysql other than start/stop/restart etc. If you want to change these parameters then change them in the /etc/my.cnf file.
    Ronan Cashell
    Certified Oracle DBA/Certified MySQL Expert (DBA & Cluster DBA)
    http://www.it-iss.com
    Follow me on Twitter

I have changed in /etc/my.cnf file after stopping the mysql service, but it is not getting reflected on starting the mysql service.