Unanswered: .NET driver performance

Hi.

I will have a .NET application that will process and load a bunch of data into a series of tables. One table is of particular concern. I estimate it will grow well over 100 milion rows per year. Each batch will process and insert about 150-200k of rows into it. Table has many fields (around 30) and most of them are foreign keys. Also, there are number of indexes on it. Other tables grow by mere few thousand rows per batch.

I've done some tests. I have created a file with 70K rows in it and tried to insert it into a table. All times are averaged.

using dbaccess
    Insert...Select from temp table: 40s
    Load from file... Insert into: 50s

using .NET demo app and DRDA driver
    Insert...Values: 3m15s
    Stored proc(insert...values): 3m
    IfxBulkCopy: 1m5s

using .NET demp app and CSDK driver
    Insert...Values: 3m43s
    Stored proc(insert...values): 5m12s (?!?)

IfxBulkCopy is very performant but inability to work under a transaction is just too severe.

This informix database is 11.5 on Windows 2008 server. I have run profiler on my demo app. 98% of time was spent in the IfxCommand.ExecuteNonQuery() command. This is expected.
    Can anyone explain why is insertion from .NET driver 4x slower than insertion from temp table? Can you recommend a strategy that could optimize this?

Any tip is appreciated.

Provided Answers: 1
    Hi,

I won't answer to the .NET issue because this is not my familiar playground,
    but have you tried using EXTERNAL TABLE in express mode for the insert thing, instead of using "load from insert into" ?

External tables is a feature coming from the Informix Datawarehouse version XPS, and as such is extermely efficient.

Check this excellent article for how to proceed.

Also, ALTERing your table temporarily to RAW TYPE, while inserting, would also be of great benefit. ALTER it to STANDARD TYPE after completion. This will turn your table to non-logging, with great gains in performance.

Also check the complexity of your indexes: the more complex, the heavier is the bulk insert. If you could temporarily disable the not critical ones would also bring benefit.

Last, .if you handle very big data volume, .NET may not be the best approach to perform big volume batches. Why not check good old compiled Informix 4GL or ESQL/C?

Hope this helps
    Eric

The table in question represents general ledger in our accounting application. That said, I cannot turn the table to non logging. Disabling indexes will couse them to be recreated after enabling them? That would slow things down further.

4GL and ESQL/C are not an option right now. We're trying to keep the application as database agnostic as possible.

Given the numbers I have provided it seems that this strategy would yield somewhat better results:

- Accumulate all data in memory tables (big hit on app. server RAM)
    - Use IfxBulkCopy to transfer data to raw type tables on Informix
    - Under transaction fire a bunch of insert...select queries that would transfer data into actual tables.

Perhaps there is a even better approach.

Looks fine! If there is no possibility to load in "exclusive like" mode,
    the raw type temp table is a good solution, but consider the EXTERNAL table scenario: an external table is a flat file to which you declare a schema, telling IDS it is a table in your database. So you can handle it almost as a normal table ( SELECT but no UPDATES or DELETEs though), and may avoid you the necessity of creating and loading a temporary table, accessing the data directly in your transaction Just an idea :-)

Regarding the .NET driver, IBM support should have an answer for that ...

Best regards
    Eric

I'm not sure what you're suggesting with your EXTERNAL table scenario. To implement that I would need to dump results into files, transfer them to database server via ftp or something similar and then map them as tables. Not sure if this is would be faster.

Regarding the .NET driver, IBM didn't respond to my topic created in their Informix developer forum. This is not new, I'm using Informix and .NET applications for quite some time. I have found in their .NET drivers such glaring bugs that sometimes I have a feeling that I'm the only one using them.

Effeectively, I was consedering your files were present on the server, this is required to create the external tables. I also considered your base material to be integrated were flat files. If not, forget this solution. In any case, I would give a try on copying the files ( this should take minutes unless your network is very slow, and then create the external table. You'll never know if you never try :-)

Regarding the orthodox solution about the driver, the right way is to create a ticket at IBM support. If not ticket is created, no fix will be created. Obvious but true. Have you tried the iiug community forum?
    and also the google informix group. I have seen some stuff related to .net, check for fernando nunes reply, or contact him.
    Eric

Thanks for your links and suggestions.

For now I've finished my reseach and results are interesting.

I've discovered a new feature of IDS data driver. On connection object you can call methods BeginChain() and EndChain(). With these two methods you can wrap your batch inserts or updates and driver will optimize usage of network and database. Speedup is 2x for inserts using loops by just adding 2 lines of code.

Still the best strategy is:

DataTable -> IfxBulkCopy to temp table -> insert...select into production table (3x speed up, more extensive changes to code)

Interestingly, this approach is slower:

DataTable -> IfxBulkCopy to raw table -> insert...select into production table

Copy operation is the same but insert into production table was 40% slower?!

True, that's interesting...
    This should be probably related to how IfxBulkCopy handles insert into a raw table.

I have inserted raw tables with "more usual" methodd and results are always better.

But that's ok you have found your way.

Best regards
    Eric

No, you misunderstood. It's not ifxbulkcopy, he performs equally well for temp table and row table. Entire difference is in the insert into...select query which I find suprising. I've benchmarked several times using SET EXPLAIN ON command.

Probably IfxBulkCopy uses light appends ( the name suggests it...), and almost sure insert into ... select does not in this version.

If they do, you should see a difference in the number of modified buffered
    between the first and second method..

Not sure though