Unanswered: Clear All Checkboxes

Hi! I have created a database for a music mixer. I have a checkbox that is linked to the table. Anyways I want to create a button that sets all the checkboxes for that item to null. I have tried using me.checkbox=null, but it only clears the selected record. How can I select all the records and set it to null using vba?

Thanks!!!
    Last edited by Dargonian; 10-08-11 at 01:02.

Provided Answers: 14
    Is it set all checkboxes for that item (record) to Null:
    Code:
    Dim ctl as Control
    For Each ctl In Me.Controls
        If ctl.ControlType = acCheckBox Then ctl.Value = Null
    Next ctl
    Or is it set the value of a field (= column in a table) to Null for all records (= rows in a table):
    Code:
    Dim strSQL As String
    strSQL = "UPDATE <TableName> SET <ColumnName> = Null;"
    CurrentDb.Execute strSQL, dbFailOnErrors
    Have a nice day!

So I put in the second code you stated, it works, but it is only clearing one at a time. After I click the button, each record I click on it deletes it. is there a way to set it to select all records, or is it just going to do the one? I have attached a copy of the database. Take a look and see what you think it is. To get to where I have the button click MULTIPLE SELECTOR. Then the button will appear on the left. This is the button I am trying to use to click it. Look under vba code. What do you think I need to change.
    Attached Files Attached Files

The second example clears the specified column of all rows directly into the table. From a form you can add the following line after it to immediately see the changes:
    Code:
    Me.Requery
    Have a nice day!

Sweet it is working...there is onl one problem. It clears all but one. The code I have is:

Private Sub cmdClear_Click()
    Dim strSQL As String

Me.frmMultipleSelecter.SetFocus
    strSQL = "UPDATE tblMusic SET Selected = Null;"
    CurrentDb.Execute strSQL
    Me.Requery

End Sub

What do you think? By the way thanks for helping me.

Never mind I figured it out. It just needed a me.requery at the beginning to to update before I do the clear selected. Thank you for your help.

I have another question. I would like to write a code similar to the sequel code you gave me. To run a shell command for each record in a certain column. DO you know what sequel code to use for this?

What exactly do you name a shell command? Do you intend to start another application with the contents of the column as a parameter, do you want to run a command from the command interpretor (cmd.exe), or is it something else? Please provide an example of what you intend to do.
    Have a nice day!

Attached is a picture of what the form looks like. I have the shell portion of it working. But I want it to run teh shell for everything in the selected query. This is the shell code: Shell = "C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe " & Chr(34) & Me.fLocation & Chr(34). This works. Also, it opens a new vlc every time this command is ran. What I want is to have this run for every record in the Me.fLocation spot on the query.

Does this help?

Thank you soooo much for your help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Capture.PNG  

You can always open a Recordset on the query and loop through it:
    Code:
    Sub ShellLoop()

Dim rst As DAO.Recordset
        Const c_strShell As String = "C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe '@F'"

Set rst = CurrentDb.OpenRecordset("MyQuery", dbOpenSnapshot)
        With rst
            Do Until .EOF
                Shell Replace(Replace(c_strShell, "'", Chr(34)), "@F", rst!fLocation)
                DoEvents
                .MoveNext
            Loop
            .Close
        End With
        Set rst = Nothing

End Sub
    If you want to do the same but with the rowset of the form, you can use:
    Code:
    Sub ShellLoop()

Dim rst As DAO.Recordset
        Const c_strShell As String = "C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe '@F'"

Set rst = Me.RecordsetClone
        With rst
            Do Until .EOF
                Shell Replace(Replace(c_strShell, "'", Chr(34)), "@F", rst!fLocation)
                DoEvents
                .MoveNext
            Loop
            .Close
        End With
        Set rst = Nothing

End Sub
    In any case, omitting the DoEvents instruction risks to lock the computer if there are many files to open simultaneously (i.e. if there are many rows in the Recordset).
    Have a nice day!

That worked awesome thank you sooo much!!

You're welcome!
    Have a nice day!

sindho i have a question. I think you would know how to fix this problem with sequel. I don't know sequel very well, but i think that is what this guy needs. Take a look at this.

http://www.dbforums.com/microsoft-ac...-new-post.html