Smile Unanswered: Code to access Paradox Database using Visual Basic Basic 2010 Express

Okay, so I am new to this whole Paradox database. I downloaded Visual Basic 2010 Express and made a simple Paradox table which consists of 6 fields. The database name is FirstDB.db. The path is on the root of C:\ (just to make it easier). My question is: Can anyone post the code to connect to this database and include any references which may need to be added to make this work. I have searched around the internet with no luck. Once I have the connection, I can take care of the coding I will need. The databse is not password protected, but I may protect it in the future so please include how to connect to databases which containg passwords too. Thanks in advance!

RValencia

a) never put anything like that in the root of a drive, because current Windows versions usually deny access to the root of the drive

b) in general, questions like this should go to folks who use the programming language in question, not to folks who use the table you're touching.. this is a VB question, not a Paradox question

c) and finally, in this day and age, why do you want to use a Paradox table, and open up extra issues like the Paradox net control file, Paradox locking, etc?.. the Paradox table format and the BDE have been "dead platforms" for over a decade
    --
    Steven Green - Myrtle Beach, South Carolina USA

http://www.OasisTradingPost.com

Oasis Trading Post
    - Collectibles and Memorabilia
    - Vintage Lego Sets and Supplies
    - and Paradox Support, too

VB Question

a) never put anything like that in the root of a drive, because current Windows versions usually deny access to the root of the drive

I am aware that Windows sometimes denies access to the root drive. I put the file there knowing I could access it.

b) in general, questions like this should go to folks who use the programming language in question, not to folks who use the table you're touching.. this is a VB question, not a Paradox question

I am new to the forum and certainly did not mean to post this question in the wrong thread. However, as you state in (c), most programmers of VB are not writing code for Paradox. This is the very reason I posted the question here so that maybe there was someone who had to do the same thing I am being asked to do.

c) and finally, in this day and age, why do you want to use a Paradox table, and open up extra issues like the Paradox net control file, Paradox locking, etc?.. the Paradox table format and the BDE have been "dead platforms" for over a decade

I didn't choose Paradox. I inherited it. There is an accounting system tied to the Paradox tables and at this point I am not able to rewrite the entire system. I wanted to create a few forms for people who were asking for things which Paradox cannot do. I do understand the platform is dead, and believe me, I want to put it six feet under as soon as humanly possible.

Provided Answers: 59
    Im guessing you are going to open the db using an ODBC connection
    that means you must have the relevant ODBC driver (Im expecting that to be already installed), then fill out the connection properties to open the connection
    visual studio BDE paradox odbc - Google Search
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

you moved this to the correct forum, but your additional information needs a further "paradox" response..

mixing ODBC with an active Paradox app will frequently cause serious issues with concurrent access to the system, especially if you're not familiar with how Paradox locking and sharing works.. mixing ODBC directly with the BDE is usually really, really bad

if you're stuck with the Paradox app, you will be much better served to find a Paradox guy to work with you (there are actually still a few out there) within the confines of the Paradox app, while you work on a replacement app..

the Paradox guys are at the "Paradox community" site, not here.. Home - Paradox Community
    --

Oasis Trading Post

and, BTW, it might be a "dead platofrm", but:

> for people who were asking for things which Paradox cannot do <

you mean, for things that the current app doesn't do.. it doesn't mean it CAN'T do it, believe me.. in it's time, Paradox was so much better than anything else in it's league
    --

Oasis Trading Post