Unanswered: Sharepoint db recovery

Hello,
    I have an old sharepoint db (SQL Server 2000 Standard edition). What I need to try to recover is the data in log backup files from the docs table. I need to see if there is a way to get any data in the log backups from columns dirname, leafname and content. The column content is an image type which olds documents (word, excel...). I don't have a full log chain since the last full restore so any data I can get out of the logs is better than nothing. I really just need to get the image files stored in the column content and place them in a shared directory for the users and let them see what they can use.

Thanks

Provided Answers: 11
    I am afraid I can not help with the missing log backup. But for the content database, you can try to restore the backup to a dev or QA server, and attach the database to that instance (hopefully none of the site/web names will collide). This operation is usually preceded by a sharepoint detach operation (not a SQL Server detach), so there may be a number of errors in attaching the content database to a new sharepoint instance. Once you have it attached to a new sharepoint instance, the user should be able to go into the dev/qa URL, and extract the file as normal.

Going forward, you should probably look into Sharepoint specific backups. These can happen at a farm level, all the way down to a document level. Backing up individual sharepoint databases, and trying to rebuild a sharepoint farm with just the raw database backups is difficult at best, and in fact, there are some databases that Microsoft does not even support restoring (the config database is one of these, if I recall). The major problem is apparently there is a lot of cross communication between the various databases, and they would all have to be restored to a single point in time for the farm restore to be successful for any length of time. It is a pain in the neck, but that's the way it seems to be.

Thanks, unfortunatley someone restored the database unintentionaly with citrix from a backup from early july and we weren't getting good full backups. This was the worst thing that could have happened but I have to deal with it now. The mdf now only has data from early july so I was trying to see if we could recover any of the documents stored in the db past that from log file backups. Any documents recovered would be better than none.

Provided Answers: 11
    Ow.

If you have one good full backup, you can apply any number of logs on top of it (with the norecovery option). Subsequent full backups have no effect on the chain of transaction log backups.

I do have one good full backup but I am missing the next few days of trans log backups to apply. I then have the log backups after that but the chain doesn't start with the 1st log backup after the good full backup. It's not looking good.

Provided Answers: 1

Thumbs up Sharepoint db recovery

You can try any third party recovery software for sharepoint. SharePoint recovery software repairs and restore corrupt sharepoint sites. They will charge some amount but recover as much as possible. I will recommend you to try free demo version of any recovery software before complete download.

Quote Originally Posted by addisionphilip View Post
    You can try any third party recovery software for sharepoint. SharePoint recovery software repairs and restore corrupt sharepoint sites. They will charge some amount but recover as much as possible. I will recommend you to try free demo version of any recovery software before complete download.
    One can use kernel recovery for sharepoint to retrieve lost data from the corrupt WSS files. The software can recovers all web contents, tables and indexes from the corrupt or damaged WSS files. Recovered data are shown by the program in a tree like structure. User can save the selected or all files from the preview list with the licensed version of sharepoint recovery program. The utility works on all versions of Window platforms such as Window 2000, XP, Vista, 7 and 2003. Moreover, the sharepoint database recovery program is capable of retrieving data from the corrupt SQL database files also. To get more information about the recovery process one can read the detailed article here http://www.sharepointdisasterrecovery.net/

If you have facing any problem of corrupt SharePoint database, then you can effectively repair and recover your all files from SharePoint database successfully. Go to :- http://www.recoverydeletedfiles.com/...-recovery.html