Unanswered: Linux DB2 connection to I series DB2 connection

Hello Experts,

I am trying to setup the connection from my linux system to remote db2 which is on i series (OS-400).

We have a requirement to get the sales order update from the AS400 m/c to our SAP system (Linux), DB2 version on linux m/c is 9.7 FP4.

I did all the required setting and while binding I am getting below error-

sapecdci1:db2ecd 57> java com.ibm.db2.jcc.DB2Binder -url "jdbc:db2://S1031993:446/S1031993:traceFile=jcctrace.out;" -user sap -password <os-400 password>
    [jcc][108][10149]DB2Binder stopped: Failure to create connection for binding.
    SQLCODE: -4230
    SQLSTATE: 42968
    Message: [jcc][t4][10509][13454][3.62.56] Connection to the data server failed. The IBM Data Server for JDBC and SQLJ license was invalid
    or was not activated for the DB2 for z/OS subsystem. If you are connecting directly to
    the data server and using DB2 Connect Unlimited Edition for System z, perform the
    activation step by running the activation program in the license activation kit.
    If you are using any other edition of DB2 Connect, obtain the license file,
    db2jcc_license_cisuz.jar, from the license activation kit, and follow the installation
    directions to include the license file in the class path. ERRORCODE=-4230, SQLSTATE=42968

Is this license problem of DB2 connect on my linux m/c or the remote OS 400 side and why it is giving error for z/os as my remote db is OS400 (i series) ? am I doing something wrong ?

What other steps require to make a connection.

Regards
    Saurabh Mishra

You need the DB2 Connect Product on the Linux machine to connect to a DB2 iSeries or DB2 z/OS database (although there are some third party products also). DB2 Connect is not the same as the DB2 Client or DB2 Server, and is separately licensed (there is a charge for the license).

However, if you have a DB2 database installed on the Linux machine, then you only need to add the DB2 Connect license (not free) since the actual code is built into the DB2 database. If you install the Try and Buy DB2 server code on Linux, it comes with a free 90 day trial license for DB2 Connect. Run "db2licm -a" to see license status.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

Thanks Marcus,

I have a temp license for db connect. see below-
    sapecdci1:db2ecd 51> db2licm -l
    Product name: "DB2 Enterprise Server Edition"
    License type: "CPU Option"
    Expiry date: "Permanent"
    Product identifier: "db2ese"
    Version information: "9.7"
    Enforcement policy: "Soft Stop"
    Features:
    DB2 Database Partitioning: "Licensed"
    DB2 Performance Optimization ESE: "Licensed"
    DB2 Storage Optimization: "Licensed"
    DB2 Advanced Access Control: "Not licensed"
    DB2 Geodetic Data Management: "Not licensed"
    IBM Homogeneous Replication ESE: "Not licensed"

*Product name: "DB2 Connect Server"*
    *License type: "Trial"*
    Expiry date: "12/13/2011"
    Product identifier: "db2consv"
    Version information: "9.7"
    Also I am not sure which driver I am using and what is the difference between JDBC, CLI and DB connect, could you also please explain this as I am new to DB2 and only today joined this forum,

Regards
    Saurabh Mishra

Looks like you do have a trial license. I am not knowledgable on how to create a jdbc connection from Linux to DB2 iSeries, but I would follow this suggestion in the error message above (with my comments in brackets):

If you are using any other edition of DB2 Connect, obtain the license file, db2jcc_license_cisuz.jar, from the license activation kit [see if you can find it somewhere under $HOME/sqllib on Linux], and follow the installation directions to include the license file in the class path.
    Last edited by Marcus_A; 10-12-11 at 03:44.
    M. A. Feldman

Yes marcus, we have a temp license on linux m/c and am not sure if license is needed for remote i series m/c or not. and we did all pre steps as per the sap documentation and also created a issue at sap forum on below link-

SAP Community Network Forums: Remoted DB2 connection from SAP ...

I checked my Linux system and unable to find the license file db2jcc_license_cisuz.jar.

Regards
    Saurabh Mishra

If you have a valid DB2 License (which is appears you do), you should probably open a PMR with IBM DB2 support.
    M. A. Feldman

Thanks Marcus,

Can you provide the link and the process to open a message, I don't have a login id for IBM portal.

Regards
    Saurabh Mishra

You need an IBM customer number and then you can call IBM support number for the country where the license is installed (I don't know for you company).
    M. A. Feldman