Unanswered: Compare DB2 Schemas via query..

Hi All,

I would like to write a query that can compare 2 database schema's, providing output on differences, if any.

I've done a search and everyone seems to be recommending a tool for this approach, however, I have been directed and restricted to doing this through a query in Toad (my DBA does not want to use the utility built into Toad because apparently it has some issues?).

I am very new to DB2 and SQL and have been having a lot of trouble getting any results. I've gone through a pile of tutorials, but I am having difficulty understanding some of the more complex queries I've seen, and not finding a lot that can help in this instance anyways. I would be eternally grateful for any help with this!

You need two things:

• SQL Reference Vol 1, Appendix D, System Catalog Views
    • An understanding of "where exists", and "where not exists" SQL sub-query syntax

You can get the manuals here:
    IBM DB2® Version 9.7 for Linux®, UNIX®, and Windows® English manuals - United States

Good luck.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction Marcus, I'll look into this stuff and hopefully get somewhere!

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus_A View Post
    You need two things:

• SQL Reference Vol 1, Appendix D, System Catalog Views
    • An understanding of "where exists", and "where not exists" SQL sub-query syntax

You can get the manuals here:
    IBM DB2® Version 9.7 for Linux®, UNIX®, and Windows® English manuals - United States

Good luck.