Unanswered: Not sure what database software to use?

Hi,

I want to create a database for sports handicapping. I have been using excel for years and want to start to put all my data into a database. Just not sure which database i should use. I want to create a basic structure now and then have some programming done to automate data entry and be able to analyze my data.

I used dbase 4.1 many years ago and was looking into access, dbase and foxpro?

Any help would be great on picks the right database to get.

Thanks

357vegas

Provided Answers: 1
    "I want to create a database for sports handicapping."

Lets start out by correcting your terminology. There are many people who don't understand the difference between 'database' and 'application'

You want to create an APPLICATION which can be used for sports handicapping. The APPLICATION is what users use to enter/getting/reporting on data which 'lives' in DATA TABLES which may or may not themselves 'live' within a DATABASE.
    (admittedly some OLD languages mis-named individual data tables as 'databases')

An APPLICATION is written in a programming language which may or may not have its own 'native' data tables and/or databases.

Your having experience in the application languages that you do, might suggest that you look at them again to develop your APPLICATION. Each of those languages has their own 'native' data tables and databases, but they can also utilize other 'alien' databases as containers for the data tables such as SQL Server, MySQL, etc.

Personally in light of your past language experience I'd recommend that you consider staying with one of them unless you want this project to become a learning opportunity for a totally new language. That would greatly lengthen the development time, but at the end you would have a new set of tools for your 'toolbox'.

Good Luck

Provided Answers: 1
    michaelmoody84 - "Go for MySQL,SQLite and DB Visualizer are the best databases for creating a sports handicapping."

While I don't say that those databases are bad, you offer no information to use to confirm and/or compare as to why they would be the 'best'.

Plus, a Sports Handicapping APPLICATION is not developed in the DATABASE.
    It is created in the APPLICATION development language and the data is stored in the data tables which may or may not reside in a DATABASE.

And none of those databases mentioned in your recommended list have an associated APPLICATION development language. Yes, a number of languages can utilize those databases, but they themselves (by themselves) cannot develop anything.

For this user, the fastest and/or easiest path to the APPLICATION they want would be to use a language that they are already familiar with (they said - access, dbase and foxpro) and then decide if they wanted to use one of those languages 'native' data tables with or without a 'database' or some non-native backend.

357vegas - Good Luck

Mr. Jrbbldr

Mr. Jrbbldr,

It's been years since I used Dbase. Im willing to start fresh with new software. More tools for the tool box. Would you be willing to help me decide what software to use?

And do you write applications?

Please email me at vegasstylebets@yahoo.com

Thanks