Question Unanswered: Re : Mysql Adminstrative Previleges at the installation time

Hello Everyone,

This is Antrikssh Mishra, I am installing Mysql at the time of installation I want be a adminstrative user. so how can get this right at the time of installation .I am installing mysql in fedora 15. so please can you tell me what I do because I am new one to use fedora with mysql so I am don't know about the procedure so please tell me step by step from starting to the end.

Thanks and Regards,
    Antrikssh Mishra.

Provided Answers: 59
    there should be a readme file as part of the installation
    there should be a security readme that you ought to follow to make certain your installation is reasonably secure.
    some people are happy administering using command line clients and editing ini files, others use something like MySQL Workbench to administer their MySQL installation(s)
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Re : Mysql Adminstrative Previleges at the installation time'

Hello,

Thanks for your suggestion and also for your precious time that you gave to me, actually I am using fedora 15 when I install the fedora mysql is part of fedora package so it also installed in it and its not tarball file its rpm file so read me file is not there .

Thanks and Regards
    Antrikssh Mishra

so MySQL is already installed?
    its probably installed with an admin user called root with a null password

I use MySQL workbench to adminsiter MySQL servers, although you can use the command line client (MySQL)

Workbench is a composite tool, it can administer servers, has a query browser allowing you to manipulate databases and or data in databases, and a graphical db modelling tool.

if your db has a user root with no password I'd strongly recommend you change that, assuming other people have access to the server. the best approach is to create at least one other admin user and as many other users as you prefer. then re enter whatever tool you are using to access the db with the new admin userid (just to make certain your new admin account works, then change the root user password to something else (something memorable just in case you need to logon as root)

Google

Lightbulb

Hello,

Thanks Sir for your support, Sir I have installed mysql and use the root for login in mysql for which I use
    [root] mysql -u root -p
    passwrd=*****
    mysql>

but I was not created one extra user to work with mysql is it compulsory. Sir if you have some more suggestion for me that will be helpful for me in future then please give me.

Thanks and Regards,
    Antrikssh Mishra

OK
    so now you are saying you have a working installation of MySQL, with a root user and a valid non blank password

so you need to define what users have whatr permissions to what databases. as said before you can administer MySQL databases from either the command line clinet MySQL or a tool such as MySQL Workbench

if you want to administer the server using the command line client then you need to use the GRANT command to provide appropriate permissions. bear in mind you MUST allways FLUSH PRIVILEGES after uaing GRANT to make certain the server reloads the permissions.

The MySQL security model is slightly different to others
    you need to create:-
    a database for each logical grouping of data
    as many users as required
    you can GRANT permissions to a a specific user on a specific ip address to a specific database, or GRANT generic permissions for a user from one or more or any IP address and so on

as said before you may find it easier to use a tool such as Workbench to do the adminstration function(s)

i do not understand what you mean by
    but I was not created one extra user to work with mysql is it compulsory. Sir if you have some more suggestion for me that will be helpful for me in future then please give me.
    A MySQL installation creates a single user root, its up to you to create whatever other users you need, assign (GRANT) them the permisssions they need.