Thread: implement code

Unanswered: implement code

hello

let's say I write a script that will return the results of a query

how do I compile/implement the code?

thanks!

You do not have to expicitly compile the code. When you submit your query via Management studio, sqlcmd or any third party tools/applcation, SQL Server parses it for syntax errors, generates(of finds) an optimal execution plan and executes it. You can buy Kalen Delaney's book on sql server 2008 internals for deeper understanding on how SQL Server accepts a requests and executes it.

databaser,

You need to give us a lot more information as to what you are trying to do and what tools you have available.
    Ken

Maverick Software Design

(847) 864-3600 x2

Quote Originally Posted by cindyaz View Post
    You do not have to expicitly compile the code. When you submit your query via Management studio, sqlcmd or any third party tools/applcation, SQL Server parses it for syntax errors, generates(of finds) an optimal execution plan and executes it. You can buy Kalen Delaney's book on sql server 2008 internals for deeper understanding on how SQL Server accepts a requests and executes it.
    good to know

Quote Originally Posted by PracticalProgram View Post
    databaser,

You need to give us a lot more information as to what you are trying to do and what tools you have available.
    well, I have a database in a directory full of .ADT files, that I suppose contain tables of data

the GUI that runs this database is not convenient and I want to use the power of SQL language to create my own queries, reports, etc

so far, I tried to open .ADT files with Advantage Data Architect, with no luck (5159 error).

any hint?

OK, so before you start thinking about writing scripts and queries and whether they can be compiled, I think you need to think about how you are going to access the source data. I am not familiar with ADT files, so your first task is to find a way to read those files. Are they text files? If not, is there and ODBC driver available that will allow you to open the files from, say, Excel or Access?
    Ken

Maverick Software Design

(847) 864-3600 x2