Unanswered: Sybase Anywhere DB on unstable network

Hi,

I have installed Sybase SQL Anywhere V12 onto a server that exchanges data with clients over a network that is dropping packets, and/or very congested at certain times of the day.

The result of instability/packet loss is that the database (and/or software running it) freezes or falls over at random. Leaving the software aside, are there any (configuration? setup?) ways to make the DB more robust in the face of packet loss etc. and perhaps to configure it to recover in the event that it does hang/freeze etc..

Thanks in advance for any pearls of wisdom !

Provided Answers: 54
    I would use a three-tier design.

The best answer is to rebuild the app as a web page, and put that web page/app server as close to the database server as you can. That way any problems can be dealt with a HTTP issues, not as database issues.

If that isn't possible, consider using VMWare or Citrix to host your client and your database. This does the same thing at somewhat higher cost, but requires little or no conversion effort... Zero development, and probably very small administration effort.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Provided Answers: 54
    I moved the thread to increase the chances of it being seen and commented upon by the Sybase crew.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Thanks

Hi Pat,

Thanks for taking the time to respond (and for moving my post to somewhere more relevant!). Actually, I cannot make the kind of changes you envisage as I'm not a programmer/analyst, and have to work within the limitatyions of the program's configurability. What I'm after is to see if there are any ways to configfure an existing installation to make it more robust to network interruption, and/or able to deal with sudden surges in traffic

recently done examples

- unload/reload the DB with a larger page-size (8192)
    - Increace the MAX_STATEMENT_COUNT to improve the DB's ability to deal with sudden surges in traffic and reduce 'resource governor' issues

Any suggestions wd be gratefully received