Unanswered: $45K, how to spend it

Sorry for being out of place - I don't know where to post this.

Can anyone recommend a good forum for getting hardware upgrade advice?

We are a small shop with a lot of old mis-matching stand alone servers. Our Corp office has implemented two Intel Modular Servers (model MFSYS25V2). For $25K in hardware they get 14 146GB SSD drives on a Fabric SAN, 4 fully loaded blades (96GB + dual 6 Core Intel Xeon processors), and redundant everything. I'm seriously considering following suit (but just 3 blades). The alternative is getting a traditional 15KRPM SAS HDD based SAN (SAS attached) with 3 R710 servers.

The remaining bugdet will go towards licensing, implementation, etc.

Of course; we'll have professional help. I'd just like some independant advice.

Not all forums are equal. Suggestions?

Thanks much!

Provided Answers: 11
    What is your current system, and how is it doing on the load it has? Is it 32-bit? How much memory does it have? Is there evidence of memory pressure in the Buffer Cache Hit ratio, or the Page Life Expectancy counters in Perfmon?

Are there disk queues? Read or write queues? What sort of RAID arrays are under those queues?

How is the processor doing? Is there a sustained processor queue length, or is the system running over 75% CPU for significant periods of time?

A lot of money can be saved on hardware with a few improvements to the average application code. Has this application (or set of applications) been examined for possible performance improvements?

Hi, Thanks for responding.

I'm really just looking for server replacement advice.

The old systems (all 32 bit Windows) are humming along, but some are in dire need of upgrades (inadequate disk space, old OS, etc). They range from 3 to 10 years old. $3K in upgrades to existing servers could squeeze another year from them; but this upgrade is inevitable and they've given me a budget now.

I'd love some suggestions for favorite IT infrastructure forums.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by MCrowley View Post
    What is your current system, and how is it doing on the load it has? Is it 32-bit? How much memory does it have? Is there evidence of memory pressure in the Buffer Cache Hit ratio, or the Page Life Expectancy counters in Perfmon?

Are there disk queues? Read or write queues? What sort of RAID arrays are under those queues?

How is the processor doing? Is there a sustained processor queue length, or is the system running over 75% CPU for significant periods of time?

A lot of money can be saved on hardware with a few improvements to the average application code. Has this application (or set of applications) been examined for possible performance improvements?

Provided Answers: 11
    I am not sure about hardware forums. I am not in charge of buying hardware, myself. my guess is that you could by a commodity server for 5 - 10k, and have a nice 35K bonus this year.

Quote Originally Posted by MCrowley View Post
    I am not sure about hardware forums. I am not in charge of buying hardware, myself. my guess is that you could by a commodity server for 5 - 10k, and have a nice 35K bonus this year.
    LOL

Q: How many DBAs to change a lightbulb?
    A: None, it's a hardware problem.

No worries; I'm sure Google will do an OK job finding one. Just thought someone here might steer me to a good one.

Provided Answers: 54
    I'm sure that the folks at Overclockers: The Performance Computing Community for Overclocking Hardware and How to Overclock Information would have some opinions for you. Mention that DBForums sent you, they'll treat you right...

Keep in mind that they live and breathe "bleeding edge" technology, and that may not be a place where you're comfortable spending company funds. At any rate, they can give you some really great ideas to consider.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.