Lightbulb The optimal database degree program

Imagine yourself being responsible for creating the curriculum for a degree program called Databases.

What subjects? What lectures? How would you structure the optimal curriculum?

Only one condition: it has got to be vendor-neutral.

What value am I proposing to provide to my students? Staying "vendor neutral" means you're never actually touching a database, so I'm not sure who this degree is for.
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

- Inadequate lecture title: PL/SQL or T-SQL.

+ Adequate lecture title: Procedural programming for database development.

-----

Another adequate suggestion would be Databases and the Relational Model, altough Edgar Codd published his famous paper during his time at IBM research.

What flavor of degree? Is this a college program, a practical program, an employer sponsored program? That will make considerable difference in what areas get what level of focus. It will also make a lot of difference in naming, since they all use different nomenclature and sometimes use the same word with significantly different meaning.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Let's say the imaginary college offers a bachelor and a consecutive master course.

great database guys and girls are not trained. they are born that way.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.