Unanswered: Data Entry form - search for duplicates

I have several different databases with their own, different, unique IDs for patients (i.e. study 1 ID, study 2 ID etc). I am creating a master/key database that will be used to link all the databases together.

The fields will be:
    Database ID (new, comprehensive unique ID that will contain patients from every study)
    Forename
    Surname
    Date of Birth
    Study ID 1
    Study ID 2

Some patients will have taken part in more than one study so it is likely there will be duplicate entries.

What would be the best way to create a feature on the Data Entry form that will search the current records when a new record is being entered to check if that person is already in the database and to bring up a list of possible records that might be duplicates. It will have to be some combination of date of birth and/or surname I imagine as they are the only constants across all databases. Not every record will have a date of birth attached unfortunately.

Provided Answers: 14
    Do you actually mean several databases or do you mean several tables?
    The solution would be quite different.
    Have a nice day!

Quote Originally Posted by Sinndho View Post
    Do you actually mean several databases or do you mean several tables?
    The solution would be quite different.
    Databases . I'm just trying to design a basic data entry form at the moment for this one database though (the records from the other tables will be pulled later).

Provided Answers: 14
    Quote Originally Posted by SNights View Post
    Databases ... (the records from the other tables will be pulled later).
    Other tables from other databases? I'm not quite sure to understand.
    Have a nice day!

Quote Originally Posted by Sinndho View Post
    Other tables from other databases? I'm not quite sure to understand.
    Sorry, I'm struggling to get my own head round it. Basically all I'm asking right now is how to create a data entry form for one table in one database which is just a big list of patient records with fields:

Unique Database Number
    Forename
    Surname
    Date of Birth
    Study ID 1
    Study ID 2

I want to have a button on the form when you are adding a new record that will search to see if the person you are adding is already in the database (i.e. say they took part in study 1 and their details were added at that point and then they later take part in study 2 so the person entering the data goes to add them in, not knowing that they took part in study 1 and are therefore already in the database). Forenames, Surnames and date of births are not unique so I can't use them so I will probably be having to do a query on surname+date of birth.