Question Unanswered: Trouble with recalling all records based on value

Hey all,

I have spent all day on this and have found nothing on any forum and google said "you're screwed"... so I thought I'd ask here. - I apologize if this is the wrong section... just let me know and I'll move it.

Here's the issue:

I have an access database that has a table of departments, and a table of policies. I have a column in the policies table that is related to departments, such that a department entry into a policy must match a department in the department table.

I created a form for managing policies, and I have a combobox with all the departments in them, and a listbox with all policies in it that brings up a policy in the form whenever you click on a policy in the list box. - I have it set up right now so that when I select a department from the combobox, it filters the listbox down to whatever department is selected. I did this by editing the row source of the listbox and adding the following code into the criteria for the department section:

[Forms]![Policy]![Combo33] OR [Forms]![Policy]![Combo33] Is Null

The OR section I use to show ALL the policies when the form is first started until a department is selected. That all works great.

The last little thing that is KILLING me, is that I want the user to be able to go back to ALL policies after they've filtered from the combobox. I created a record in the Department table called "ALL", but I can NOT figure out how to make the listbox display All records when that one field is selected.

ANY help would be Greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much,

Vince

My example is at work, but basically here's what I did:

I made a table called "tbl_All" and put in a field that I name the same as the field I use for my selection...I'll call that "Selection," then one line of data in which I typed "All"

I made a union query to link that to my selection query. Example:
    SELECT tbl_All.Selection, 1 as Rank
    FROM tbl_All
    UNION ALL SELECT tbl_TABLE.Selection, 2 as Rank
    FROM tbl_TABLE
    SORT BY 2,1

Then I link the combo box to that query.

For the criteria in the query I put something like
    Iif ([Combobox]="All",[FieldName],[ComboBox])

I hope this helps...If it doesn't work and you don't have the answer by Monday, I'll give you an example I have at work.

Quote Originally Posted by chris07tibgs View Post
    Then I link the combo box to that query.

For the criteria in the query I put something like
    Iif ([Combobox]="All",[FieldName],[ComboBox])

I hope this helps...If it doesn't work and you don't have the answer by Monday, I'll give you an example I have at work.

You, are amazing. I honestly didn't understand most of that (I'm very new to access), but I took your Iif statement, and was able to add another OR to my initial criteria such that:

IIf([Forms]![Policy]![Combo33]="{All}",[Forms]![Policy]![Combo33],[Department])

And.... IT Worked!! - You have no idea how glad I am that this worked... that's the majority of the hard part that I had left with this database. Thanks So much!

You're welcome. The reason why I make a union query is because the way you have it, "All" will come alphabetically in the list. The query, the way I set it up, sorts All first then everything else after.

Mess around with that if you're ambitious and if you have any questions I'll try to help.

Here is a crude example of what I was referring to above...Hope this helps
    Attached Files Attached Files