Unanswered: Simple DB/PHP help

Hello

So i am making a website for my friends company were they have 8 people working for them. These 8 people need to be able to go to the website, fill out a simple form like the following:

Name:

Case nr.:

Hours:

SUBMIT

After they submit this information need to go to a database were it will add to the allready excisting hours of that person during that week if there is any.

Then each week my friend will need to go to the database and see if everything is okay and then he should be able to send the info from the database to another email with the numbers merged.

Sorry for my english. I hope that someone can help me out to create this form or can point me in the rigth direction! My PHP skills is somewhat limited.

Provided Answers: 59
    is this an intranet or internet application? ie do you expect users to use this only on an internal network. if external then you need to consider security

reporting could be tricky in PHP, so it may make more sense to use something like access / filemaker / open office DB if its purely internal

if you do decide to go down the PHP route then you may not need a database with 'jsut' 8 users, you could probably go down the route of a flat file. however if you do go downt he route of a database then you could use a tool such as Access to do your reporting based on the data inside the database.

bear in mind virtually all new PHP installations come with SQL lite, however you could connect to virtually any db storage mechanism, via a native driver or ODBC

doing what you want in PHP is reraltively trivial, assuming you dont' have to 'harden' it against external vectors of attack and other security concerns. try someone like W3 schools
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

It is an external site, i will function as their website and only once members login to the site, this form will appear!

I didnt know i could do it without using a DB and only PHP - this sounds interesting, but i think they will need to have an archive from previous filled out forms/cases, so im not sure if that will destroy that possibility?

Im not really worried about the security issuses, should i be when its such a small site?

should you be worried about security of the site
    I dunno
    does this project have any value in it?
    does the employer expect to rely on any of the information, its integrity and so on?
    is the capture of users data have some other relevance. ferinstance if its going to be plugged back into a project management package?

Yea ok i get your point! It just sounds like hard work to get security aswell, specially when im so new to PHP... However im sure you are right!

But if you could link me to some explanations on how to make this code i would apprecite it a lot, since im not rly sure where to start. Im coding in the concrete5 system, but i havent been able to find any plugins that can o the job for me

any help on getting started would be much appreciated!

if you are using a framework such as Concrete5, then you'd be best advised to stick with concrete5 resources.

I learned PHP from books, tutorials and perseverance. which meant much of my early PHP was 'orrible.

good onliune resources are the PHP website php.net and w3 schools amongst others