Unanswered: Disconnected Database

The server at our company periodically restarts for some reason or anther, every time this happens all the databases that run from the network drives errors because it lost connection to the database, and as a result it crashes. I tried to move the front end of the database to the local drive hoping it could reconnect to the back end once the server came back up but it didn't. I use this database for quit a few things namely for employees clock in/out. Every time the database goes down everyone has to clock back in and log back in to every job they were working on which creates a bit more work for them. Anyone have any ideas on how to solve this. If closing the database and reopening is the only option i can live with that i just wanted to make sure there wasn't a better way.

Provided Answers: 14
    Placing a copy of the front-end on the local drive of every client machine is a wise move. It's the solution that's usually recommanded, even if this causes others problems as far as maintenance and upgrades are concerned.

Depending on how your application works and how complex it is you could possibly verify that the link with the back-end is open before attempting to communicate with it. You could also use a form (it can be invisible) with a timer that would periodically check the availability of the server and take appropriate actions according to the result.

Another possibility would consist in storing the data locally when the back-end is down and send these "local" data to the back-end when the server is available.

If possible, the best solution would be to create an environment (UPS, restricted access, etc...) that would guarantee that the server remains stable and never reboots unexpectedly.

There is no "one size fits all" solution, unfortunately!
    Have a nice day!