Unanswered: Insert Country code into columns

Hi All,

Iam having a users table which contains "Mobile" column as well. I want a query to set the country code value by default into the column name so that the column should be updated with the mobile number along with the default country code. kindly help me on this

Thanks,
    Ram

are u trying to decipher the country code from the mobile number of the user and update in country column?
    Cheers....

baburajv

hai

hai,
    actually the country code for all the users wil;l be same +91 and i want it to show at the starting of the Mobile Number in the mobile column

thanks,
    Ram

if thats the assumption, set '+91' as the default value for the countrycode column.

just curious.. how do u ensure that the users key in their mobile numbers without countrycode? is the App, doing some validation on this?
    Cheers....

baburajv

hai

hai,

could you just let me know how to assign a default value to a column, iam new to this field it could be a great help for me.

Thanks,
    Ram

if its an existing table you have to do two steps
    1. define the default constraint for the column and

ALTER TABLE <tableName> ADD CONSTRAINT <ConstraintName>
    DEFAULT <DefaultValue> FOR <ColumnName> ;

2. update the existing NULL values in the column to the default value

Update <TableName> Set <columnName> = <defaultValue> where <columnname> is null

If you are creating the table for first time, specify the default value along with table creation script

Create table <tablename>
    (
    <column1> <datatype> DEFAULT <default value>
    );

hope this helps

Pls refer SQL BOL for more on ALTER TABLE..
    Cheers....

baburajv

hai

Hi Babu,

Thanks for your reply and i got 1 more issue now. By default iam able to get +91 now for the column but when i tried to pass it with mobile number +91 is getting removed, but i want the mobile number should be added to the +91.
    kindly help me on this.

Thanks,
    Ram

could u pl explain the problem with an example?
    Cheers....

baburajv

hai

Hai Babu,

After altering the table with default value as '+91' all the values in the column are being updated with +91. Now when iam passing the mobile number(9000400112) value from the client application, for me the column value in the DBshould be updated as : '+919000400112' but it is being updated in the column as 9000400112(default value is getting eliminated). It is not appending to the default value.Kindly help me on this

Thanks,
    Ram

my assumption was that you have a separate countrycode column in the table..

something like

tablename
    (
    countrycode varchar(5) default '+91',
    mobile# ...
    )

if this is the case, the mobile number sent from client app goes to mobile# column and countrycode will be +91 by default.. for displaying the numbers in the UI, you must have a select query which concatenates the two columns

select countrycode + mobile# from table ...

does this answer your question?
    Cheers....

baburajv

hai

thanks a lot babu..i will try and get back 2 u if had any queries. Iam really thankful to you.