Unanswered: After timezone table update, Convert_tz still returns NULL with named timezones. what

Hi all,

I recently installed MySQL Server 5.5 on my Windows 7 machine. All mysql.timezone* tables are present but empty,
    so I :
    - went here : MySQL :: Time zone description tables
    - downloaded the POSIX package
    - stopped the MYSQL running service
    - updated the files in the data/mysql subfolder in the MySQL installation folder
    - restarted the MYSQL service

and using the convert_tz function still returns NULL when using named timezones.

So I looked into the tables, are they are still all empty. ??? Seems the update does not work?
    I also tried finding just the .sql scripts so I can manually add the the data to the tables one table at a time, and I couldn't find any.

Any ideas? Anything would help, thanks in advance,

Steph

Provided Answers: 59
    the page you referred to may give a clue why there is a problem
    Please don't use this package if your system includes zoneinfo files (e.g. Linux, FreeBSD, Sun Solaris)

Please generate the mysql.time_zone* tables from those files using the mysql_tzinfo_to_sql utility instead!

(Otherwise you may cause a difference in datetime handling between MySQL and other applications on your system.)
    see MySQL :: MySQL 5.5 Reference Manual :: 4.4.6 mysql_tzinfo_to_sql mysql_tzinfo_to_sql

mind you that assumes your host system has already got zoneinfo data
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

mysql_tzinfo_to_sql is for systems such as Linux, FreeBSD, Solaris, and Mac OS X.

My machine is Windows 7, running MySQL Server 5.5. For Windows systems, the instructions I posted above were specifically for Windows.