Question Unanswered: Using Same Field to Pull Data

I am trying to set-up a report for Help Desk calls. I want one field for the problem description and another field for the solution description. In the database they are in the same field in the table but are identified by 0 for the problem description, 1 for a note and 2 for the solution.

When I go to Select Expert and choose the identifier for the problem description field, it changes it for the solution description field as well.

How do I distinguish the parameters between the two fields so changing one doesn't affect the others?

Sorry - I am new to this so it is probably very simple.

Thanks for your help!

Provided Answers: 7
    I don't know Crystal

What I would is create 4 query
    A notes that only looks at the Notes and the Description call it note: with the ID
    B solution that only looks at the solution and the Description call it solution: with the ID
    C problem that only looks at the problem and the Description call it problem: with the ID

Then the last one would join the 3 querys by the ID

then you will see

ID | problem | solution | note

or look up crosstabs of provit Querys
    hope this help

See clear as mud

StePhan McKillen
    the aim is store once, not store multiple times
    Remember... Optimize 'til you die!
    Progaming environment:
    Access based on my own environment: DAO3.6/A97/A2000/A2003/A2007/A2010
    VB based on my own environment: vb6 sp5
    ASP based on my own environment: 5.6
    VB-NET based on my own environment started 2007
    SQL-2005 based on my own environment started 2008
    MYLE
    YOUR PASSWORD IS JUST LIKE YOUR TOOTHBRUSH DON'T SHARE IT.

Quote Originally Posted by stella2626 View Post
    I am trying to set-up a report for Help Desk calls. I want one field for the problem description and another field for the solution description. In the database they are in the same field in the table but are identified by 0 for the problem description, 1 for a note and 2 for the solution.
    Quote Originally Posted by stella2626 View Post

Your table uses the same field for problem description, note and solution. Which means for each problem, there are 3 records that are associated to the problem. The particular problem should have a problem number which will be common for the 3 records.

Here is what you need to do:

Add the table to the report, group the records by problem number. This will group the 3 records for the same problem together.

Add 3 formulas, problem_desc, note, solution to the report in the Detail section (suppress the formulas to hide them), with the following codes:

problem_desc:

If {field} = 0 Then // depends on how you set the 0, 1 and 2 up
    {field}

note:

If {field} = 1 Then // depends on how you set the 0, 1 and 2 up
    {field}

solution:

If {field} = 3 Then // depends on how you set the 0, 1 and 2 up
    {field}

This would set the problem_desc formula to the field if the field is 0. The same applies to note and solution. With this, now you have 3 fields that contains values from the single field. You can now print the values of these 3 fields in the Group Footer.