Smile Unanswered: Question about Microsoft SQL server

Hi,

I am trying to use a program by HP to work with printers. This program says it needs the Microsoft SQL server. I have googled this and tried to down load but it does not seem to work. I see there is a 2008 version and an express version. I am just looking for a free version that will work with the HP printer software.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Jeff

Provided Answers: 54
    A lot depends on just what the software needs... I'm not familiar with any HP Printer software that needs SQL Server, and I'm actually having a hard time imagining what Printer oriented software would to with SQL Server.

Can you provide a URL link or a scanned image of the HP product specifications? That would help a lot.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Reply to question about printer software

Hi,

The software is called," HP Web Jetadmin 10" and it monitors printers on a network.

Provided Answers: 54
    None of the SQL Server Editions that support Web Clients are free. HP may have a licensing agreement with Microsoft, since according to http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/.../c01857435.pdf the distributions from HP include the Microsoft SQL Server Express Edition.

Based on the PDF I cited above that is provided by HP, as an end user you should not need to install or configure anything. The HP distribution ought to take care of everything for you when it installs the software.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Thank you for the infoH

Hi, thanks for the info. I printed out The HP Web Jetadmin 10.2 Installation and Setup Guied and the Using Microsoft SQL server with HP Web jetadmin.

Little confusing I have not been able to figure this out yet. But thank you so much for the direction to go. Will have to read through all of this.

Thanks again,

Jeff