Question Unanswered: Is this possible? Two questions by a newbie.

Hello, everyone!

I have got two questions.

The first question:

Is it possible in SQL Server 2005 to have it automatically update a value from a previous row into a next row in a same column? I basically want to increment a value from a very first row per 5% with each new row inserted so that I don’t have to do it manually with every new row. Here is an example:

1. 100 (automatic 5% increment command will send its result automatically to the next row when it is created by a user)
    2. 105
    3. 110,2
    4. 115,7
    5. 121,4

and so on...

If there is a syntax for it, I would love to know it.

The second question:

Is it possible to have a column with the datetime data type showing only Month-Year format of a date? If yes, how?

Thank you kindly for all your answers.

Provided Answers: 4
    1) Yes, that is possible. I would go for an insert trigger. But it won't be easy to program it correct in case of multiple inserts. There may be better solutions than a trigger.

2) Yes. Dates are stored in a standard way in SQL Server. In the presentation layer (report) you can apply any format you like, or with this script you can retrieve a string in MM/YYYY format based on a DATETIME column:
    Code:
    SELECT RIGHT(CONVERT(VARCHAR(10), GETDATE(), 103), 7) AS [MM/YYYY]
    Check this for more date and time format examples.
    With kind regards . . . . . SQL Server 2000/2005/2012
    Wim

Grabel's Law: 2 is not equal to 3 -- not even for very large values of 2.
    Pat Phelan's Law: 2 very definitely CAN equal 3 -- in at least two programming languages

So you say there is no other solution than the trigger for the first question?

Could you please give some list of commands I should study to solve it? Some clue?

Thank you!

Provided Answers: 4
    So you say there is no other solution than the trigger for the first question?
    I don't know how records are INSERTed into the table. When it is done by a stored procedure, you only have to alter that SP. When it is done by INSERT statements, a trigger is the only solution I can think of, unless you can alter the INSERT statement.

Is it a working system or are you still designing/developing it? When you're still developing it, use a stored procedure to handle the INSERTs.

You need a way to tell what record is "the last" one (the one with the highest ID, highest Create_DateTime, ...). Get the column of interest, multiply it with 1.05 and store that value in the new record.

How will you handle DELETE's?
    - When the first record is deleted, should all values in the records still present, be adjusted by 5% (lowered)?
    - When the last record is deleted, suppose it held a 105, the "last" record will now hold 100. What should be the value of that column for a new insert: 105 or 110.2?

Try to find out the rules behind that column, perhaps it is possible to calculate the value at runtime.
    With kind regards . . . . . SQL Server 2000/2005/2012
    Wim

Grabel's Law: 2 is not equal to 3 -- not even for very large values of 2.
    Pat Phelan's Law: 2 very definitely CAN equal 3 -- in at least two programming languages

Thanks for the tips, but this is going to be a nightmare for me.

Let's say I have chosen a column named "ID" (filled with the IDENTITY command to automatically count each new row created) as the one which will tell the program what is a previous and a next row. But after I specify this into the code, how can I tell the program that it now have to choose a value from a different column but in the same row to be incremented by those 5%?

I mean, the column_1 will say the program a number of a row but the value to be incremented is not located in the column_1 but in the column_6.

//

Regarding the DELETEs I am aiming for the second scenario you have written. A new insert should have the 105 value again.

Quote Originally Posted by Wim View Post
    When the last record is deleted, suppose it held a 105, the "last" record will now hold 100. What should be the value of that column for a new insert: 105 or 110.2?
    Thank you very much for your support.

Quote Originally Posted by Bouben View Post

Let's say I have chosen a column named "ID" (filled with the IDENTITY command to automatically count each new row created) as the one which will tell the program what is a previous and a next row. But after I specify this into the code, how can I tell the program that it now have to choose a value from a different column but in the same row to be incremented by those 5%?

I mean, the column_1 will say the program a number of a row but the value to be incremented is not located in the column_1 but in the column_6.

If your insert is done through a stored procedure it is easy.

assume column_1 is ur auto generated number which indicates the latest row and column_6 is the one that is used to increment by 5%, the sp logic will be as follows

--retrieve the last row id
    Set @lastrowid = (Select Top 1 column_1 from table order by column_1 desc)

--retrieve the column6 val for the prev row
    Set @lastrow_column6val = (Select column_6 from table where column_1 = @lastrowid )

-- increment by 5%
    Set @newval = @lastrow_column6val * 1.05

--insert next row
    insert into table (....) Values (... @newval )
    Cheers....

baburajv

Quote Originally Posted by baburajv View Post
    --insert next row
    insert into table (....) Values (... @newval )
    Thank you, but I don't understand this part of the code. Could you please write this part completely without blank spaces? I am a newbie a need to orientate.

Thanks again!

assuming that column_1 (auto generated number/ Identity value) and column_2 are the only columns in the table, the insert statement will become

insert into table( column_6) values (@newval )

if you have more columns in the table, specify the column names (except column_1 which is autogenerated) before "values" keyword and their respective values in the last ()
    Cheers....

baburajv

You are the man! It works! Thank you so much! First step of my task is done. I will write soon because there will definitely be more problems.