Unanswered: How long to REORG?

Looking to REORG numerous databases soon. Our largest database is 14.14GB. How long do you think it would take to REORG? Our DB2 server is v9.5, running 2x X5860's (3.33GHz) and 8GB DDR3.

Provided Answers: 5
    We cannot give specific times. It depends on how the data is fragmented among other things. 14 GB is not that big, so I would suspect that it would not take too long. It would be best to try it on a test system first.

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by ARWinner View Post
    We cannot give specific times. It depends on how the data is fragmented among other things. 14 GB is not that big, so I would suspect that it would not take too long. It would be best to try it on a test system first.

Andy
    Alright. Kinda figured that. I know when i Connect to it, its the only database (of 10) that has Attention under health. It says Reorganization required. The others don't, but i don't guess it cant hurt to REORG them. This server is in the live environment and it going off line would, depending on which database, would effect between 200-15,000 end users, so uptime is a must.

You can do on-line reorgs that will keep the system up, but take a lot longer and require lots of logs.

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by ARWinner View Post
    You can do on-line reorgs that will keep the system up, but take a lot longer and require lots of logs.

Andy
    I don't mind doing it during our maintenance period around the middle of the night. Just trying to get a rough estimate.

I figure I will start on our smallest database (.58GB) and go from there to get an idea.

Where would I go to do an online reorg?

Quote Originally Posted by daGGoth View Post
    I know when i Connect to it, its the only database (of 10) that has Attention under health. It says Reorganization required.
    Execute reorgchk to see what needs to be reorged.

Quote Originally Posted by daGGoth View Post
    Where would I go to do an online reorg?
    Look in the manual on the REORG command. One option is to do it online.

If you never have done a reorg before, I strongly suggest that you try it on a test system (maybe a copy of the database you want to reorg). This will give you some experience, see how long things will take, and see what resources are necessary.

Andy