Unanswered: Reporting Tools for SQL 2005 express

Hello all
    I was looking for a newbie area but this forum seems relevant to what I am looking for.
    I am a complete novice when it comes to anything db though most of my systems have them as the brains behind the operation.

I have one door entry system (Paxton Net2) that I look after and I am trying to find a good tool to pull reports from the SQL express database that it runs on at the moment.

I have so far used M$ Access and set up an ODBC connection in XP that connects up to the SQL server remotely and I have made a few queries that I use to give me a lot of what I am after in a report format.
    I wondered if there was an easier way of doing it though using some form of reporting tools - free or open source if poss.

I have found some that use something called JDBC - is that along the right lines?
    I downloaded a couple but cant seem to get them to connect or just cant figure them out.

Are there any newbie friendly ones out there at all ?

Thanks for advice

Quote Originally Posted by Lindopski View Post
    Hello all
    I was looking for a newbie area but this forum seems relevant to what I am looking for.
    I am a complete novice when it comes to anything db though most of my systems have them as the brains behind the operation.

I have one door entry system (Paxton Net2) that I look after and I am trying to find a good tool to pull reports from the SQL express database that it runs on at the moment.

I have so far used M$ Access and set up an ODBC connection in XP that connects up to the SQL server remotely and I have made a few queries that I use to give me a lot of what I am after in a report format.
    I wondered if there was an easier way of doing it though using some form of reporting tools - free or open source if poss.

I have found some that use something called JDBC - is that along the right lines?
    I downloaded a couple but cant seem to get them to connect or just cant figure them out.

Are there any newbie friendly ones out there at all ?

Thanks for advice
    Dear Sir,

I have a door entry system (Paxton Net2) that I am trying to pull reports from the SQL express database using MS Access. But my problem is that I couldn't established an ODBC connection in xp to connect to the SQL Server.

Looking to your post, I assume that you already created the ODBC but you are trying to change the tool.

I'll be very grateful if you could help in creating my ODBC connection.

Remaining at your service for any clarifications.

Best Regards,
    Dany