Dear dBforums experts,

I just stumbled on a strange behavior on MSSQL 2008 regarding linked servers:
I can query a remote table, I can create a view on that remote table, but I cannot query the view!

I'd like to build the following architecture:

On server S1 there is a database, DB1, owned by U1 on login L1.
In DB1 there is a view V1, plainly reading all from a table T1 in the same DB1.

Code:
<login on S1 with Login L1>
USE DB1

CREATE TABLE T1 (
x INT )

INSERT INTO T1 VALUES (1)

CREATE VIEW V1
AS
SELECT * FROM T1
Then have another server S2, with a database DB2 owned by U2 on login L2.

User U2, logged on S2, needs to be able to query V1 like it was on S2 through a linked server.
So what I did:
Created a linked server LS to S1 using L1 as default login.
So far I'm able, being sa or U2 on S2, to query V1:
Code:
SELECT * FROM LS.DB1.dbo.V1
I can build a synonym (as U2) or a view on the remote view:
Code:
CREATE VIEW remote
AS
SELECT * FROM LS.DB1.dbo.V1
Here comes the crazy part: now I'm U2, connected to S2, and I just queried the remote table and built a view on it
Code:
SELECT * FROM remote

Msg 229, Level 14, State 5, Line 1
The SELECT permission was denied on the object 'remote', database 'DB2', schema 'dbo'.
On the contrary, if I'm logged as SA on DB2, i can select from remote.

Why this is important:
because we are trying to integrate different data sources, and the applications using the data must not know where the data comes from. Architectures change, data models change, but using a view, it is always possible to fix the data in such a way that the applications using it will need little development when that happens. Moreover it is not possible to let the users connect as SA to do that.

The question:
In the frame I described before, is there a way to let the user U2, logged in on S2, to query the data on S1 through the view "remote"?
What exactly needs to be granted to U2 to achieve this?
Will user U22, which was granted only select right on remote, then be able to query the data not being the owner of DB2?

Thanks!