Unanswered: Am I wise moving from MSSQL to Postgres?

We have been using MSSQL for many years now and I have no issues with it apart from the licensing costs.

I have read a lot of news recently about how well Postgres is performing and how much it is coming inline with some enterprise sql products and wanted to know whether it was worth the move?

Has anyone made the move? Had any regrets?

I will be missing some items like SSIS and reporting but for the money we shall save I can write those products myself! Not to the extent that Microsoft have of course but to the level we need it.

I appreciate any ones comments?

Please note as of today, MySql is not a free project aka as free as postgresql. One of the main reason why i had to switch over to PG. (Thankx to NPGSQL and PgAdmin III, it was a lot easier than it was rumoured)

However MySql does have number of advantages related to applications,addons,forums and looked good on resume.

PostgreSql is a much mature DBMS. It is a objectRDBMS. It has been around for more than 15 years. It is not known to have defaulted on any major issues. It is well known to handle transactions running in millions of rows successfully. The most important is, it's high rate of compliance with SQL standards. Infact in professional circles, it is more of an Oracle of Free RDBMS rather than MySql of popular applications.

Provided Answers: 1
    When I came on board with my company, we had 4 MSSQL servers and the licensing cost was completely ridicioulous but also since I've been here, we've done 4 technical refreshes for hardware and between using Windows Server 2008 over Linux, it amazes me how much performance is robbed to run the server O.S. platform versus a light Linux distribution.

As for switching from MSSQL to PostgreSQL, I could not be happier. I have a master / slave PostgreSQL configuration and I use PSQL client mainly to interact with basic administration tasks and use PgAdmin3 as a cheat when I brain fart something. PostgreSQL has exceeded all my expectations in regards to performance, security, ease of use, and community support. EnterpriseDB also offers paid support to help you sleep better at night. Keep in mind I also tried MySQL and Oracle 11g but honestly PostgreSQL is IMHO the best open source RDBMS you can choose. Your mileage may vary depending on your experience and needs.

Provided Answers: 12

Provided Answers: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by shammat View Post
    Very interesting read. I did a performance over view of a few applications we use in house from using Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 & PostgreSQL 9.0 on the same hardware and the results were extremely entertaining to say the least.

I also remember seeing that there is a company that has added sql server data types and a TSQL language to postgresql. The extensions are proprietary, but the licensing costs are MUCH lower than MSSQL...
    Lou
    使大吃一惊
    "Lisa, in this house, we obey the laws of thermodynamics!" - Homer Simpson
    "I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them!" - Bette Middler
    "It's a book about a Spanish guy named Manual. You should read it." - Dilbert

This thread is on the verge of getting stale, so I will reinvigorate it.

By all means, EnterpriseDB (PostgreSQL) is a fantastic choice.... We have purchased the PostgresPlus version for a very reasonable 19k a year vs Microsoft 250k for a Quad Socket setup with 32 cores.

The ONLY thing I 'sort-of' miss about MS SQL Server is Reporting Services. Fortunately there are easy workarounds for this, as well as third party vendors which fill the gap perfectly (we chose Jasper Reports, although MicroStrategy was another very good option).

Don't worry yourself, seriously. PostgreSQL is top notch, the tools you get are top rate and you won't even know the difference from what you are migrating from... (Procedures to Functions and Return values or Return void are some of the SMALL exceptions), I know this because I've migrated from 2 SQL Server instances each with 7 to 8 databases chock full of sprocs... (350-500 per sp per db...)

Also, some of our sites are averaging over 200-300 concurrent users in an OLTP environment. EnterpriseDB (PostgresPlus) isn't even breaking a sweat and the migration, while laborious [dbo].[tblWhatever] replacements, Return void, and some other small burps, it has been a great learning experience and it has been FUN. You should know something about Linux as well. In moving from SQL Server 2008 R2 to EnterpriseDB, we also decided to replace its OS environment with Linux instead of Win Server 2008 R2. I have no proof, but from what I have read, EnterpriseDB seems happiest on Linux. RHEL && EnterpriseDB.

PS: I had the choice to make as far as DB's were concerned, but decided that I would stay far away from MySQL as the other "Open Source" solution... why? Who owns MySQL... Oracle. Why is this an issue?....

Look what Oracle did with Java and its host of patents, they bought them from Sun and are now suing Google and others over Java usage... Do I want to eventually have to deal with a 900lb, spazzed-out litigious gorilla named Oracle? No way. EnterpriseDB is the only real alternative.
    Last edited by Channard; 10-14-12 at 23:14.