Unanswered: Complex Reporting

Hi Guys,

We currently have a huge database with some tables ranging beyond 19 million records. We currently query these tables through our background business applications. Unfortunately, in this case the query will time out after going for more than 45 minutes!

So..

We are looking at bringing data outside of these tables and using 3rd party Reporting tools. I was hoping someone could give me advice on what to look into. I'm just throwing terms out there but have you guys used Cubes? What other reporting tools could you recommend to improve our reporting efficiency?

Any guidance would be well appreciated!

No one... Did I ask a dumb question?!?

Bump..

How about OLAP Data Cubes? Would this make the database more efficient for reporting?

Provided Answers: 2
    You can create use SQL to create an OLAP database, populating it with regular updates from your OLTP database. The updates are traditionally done when the OLTP database is quiet, and the OLAP database will then have the data in the form optimised for reporting.
    10% of magic is knowing something that no-one else does. The rest is misdirection.

Provided Answers: 54
    Without knowing a great deal more about what you're doing I can't offer a meaningful opinion, but my gut reaction is that you need to understand what's broke before you try to fix it! Look at your data, your queries, and the problems that you're having. Try to sum things up into a paragraph or two and ask a more specific question.

I can usually get enormous performance improvements by looking at where the database is having problems, and adjusting a few things to reduce the level of pain. Often this is as simple as adding RAM or indicies to the puzzle.

Cubes are great things, and they help end users with analytics a lot. They are not "silver bullets" and usually need significant "care and feeding" if you want them to behave well.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.