Thread: Portable RDBMS

Unanswered: Portable RDBMS

Hi

Is there such a thing as a portable RDBMS which I can make my own GUI's and Reports. Like Microsoft access but I want it to be portable.

Something I can put together and run from a flash drive on any computer without having to install anything.

Is there anything out there like Microsoft access which is portable though has similar functionality or more?

Thanks
    Dominver.

Provided Answers: 59
    not too sure but it may be worth exploring SQL lite
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Funny you should say that.

I put a post on another forum asking about SQL Lite though after two weeks nobody has come back. I understand SQL lite to be a portable D'base but so is Excel if you want it to be. I there more in SQL Lite which will enable me to build forms, reports and all the functionality Microsoft Access offers. Portability is the ultimate aim here (with the ability to create custom GUI's and Reports).

Thanks for coming back to me.
    Cheers
    Dominover.

Provided Answers: 59
    I fear you are confusing different elements
    Microsoft Access isn't a database tools per se. ( I know that lots of purists reagrd it as so). its designed as a Rapid Application Development Tool, which happens to be able to talk to virtually any form of datastore, which if left unspecified will be its symbiotic database called JET.

the forms, reports and user interface are a native Access application.

you asked for a portable RDBMS... the only ones I can think of offhand are
    Access/JET
    Filemaker
    SQL Lite
    Open Office dbase
    all except SQL lite require some form of installation.
    SQL doesn't require a licence, neither does opne office's database
    there may well be others.

I doubt you find any out of the can form/report user interface + database which will work off a pen drive.

the reason I suggested SQL lite is that its very common on modern smartphones (IPhone Android and so on) it may well be possible to write an application utilising SQL lite from a memory stick. however I don't know if SQL lite requires an installation on the host computer or whether it will run from a file.

SQL lite is a relatinal database (not a fully fledged server RDBMS but it can be designed to fulfill most if not all of the RDBMS critieria)

Excel isn't. excle can be programmed to use forms and so on, but it wouldn't be my first, or for that matter any, choice to store data in.
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton