Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Unanswered: v9.7 ESE license

I've never had to deal with licensing before so would like to get some assistance.

Server info:

Operating system is: Linux
    OSS reports operating system level as: #1 SMP Thu Mar 5 04:52:17 EST 2009.2.6.9-78.0.17.ELsmp.

vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
    model name : Dual-Core AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 2216 HE

$ cat /proc/cpuinfo | egrep 'physical|core'
    physical id : 0
    core id : 0
    cpu cores : 2
    physical id : 0
    core id : 1
    physical id : 1
    core id : 0
    physical id : 1
    core id : 1

Complete output from /proc/cpuinfo is attached.

Let's say, I want to install v9.7 ESE on this test server and need to purchase a license for it.

Based on /proc/cpuinfo, this system has 2 physical CPUs with 2 cores each => 4 cores in total.

Using the last table found here:
    IBM Processor Value Unit [PVU] licensing for Distributed Software

PVUs per core = 50 => 50 x 4 cores = "200 PVU license".

This is for PVU based license. If I were to go with AU license, then I would need to purchase a min of "50 AU license".

This is based on the info found here: Compare the distributed DB2 9.7 database servers

Some questions:

- What happens if additional CPUs are added to this system and "PVU license" is not updated to reflect the current number of cores?

- From IBM DB2 9.7 for Linux, UNIX and Windows Information Center

"An authorized user is a single individual with a specific identity within or outside your organization. IDs for authorized users cannot be shared and you cannot transfer IDs unless there is a change in employment status. An ID can establish one or more connections to the DB2 database system and counts as a single authorized user. If an authorized user connects to other DB2 database servers, additional licenses are required for those connections (using the appropriate charge metric for those DB2 database servers)."

If I purchase "50 AU license", this means a max of 50 applications per 'Auth Id' (from list applications output)? What happens if this limit is exceeded?

- How can I tell which license cost less - "200 PVU license" or "50 AU license"?

- Does the license need to be renewed every year or is it for the life of the product?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by db2girl View Post
    Some questions:

- What happens if additional CPUs are added to this system and "PVU license" is not updated to reflect the current number of cores?
    Nothing. License is usually on soft-stop, so not enforced. There may be a message in the db2diag.log.

- From IBM DB2 9.7 for Linux, UNIX and Windows Information Center

"An authorized user is a single individual with a specific identity within or outside your organization. IDs for authorized users cannot be shared and you cannot transfer IDs unless there is a change in employment status. An ID can establish one or more connections to the DB2 database system and counts as a single authorized user. If an authorized user connects to other DB2 database servers, additional licenses are required for those connections (using the appropriate charge metric for those DB2 database servers)."

If I purchase "50 AU license", this means a max of 50 applications per 'Auth Id' (from list applications output)? What happens if this limit is exceeded?
    Same as above (soft-stop).

- How can I tell which license cost less - "200 PVU license" or "50 AU license"?
    You can try searching in the IBM annoucement letters for list price, but actual prices are sometimes discounted for large customers. I would also look at developers edition for a test system, which is also based on named (authorized) users, but I think you only need 5 or 10 minimum per server, and license is about $1500 per named user.

- Does the license need to be renewed every year or is it for the life of the product?
    It is good forever, for any release of 9.7. Maintenance (optional) is typically 20% per year of the license cost starting in the second year. Maintenance includes IBM support and usually upgrade to next version at no cost if maintenance contract has been continuous since purchase. Does not include 9.8 which is really a feature add-on (pureScale).
    Last edited by Marcus_A; 12-04-11 at 21:13.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

Thank you. Some additional questions please:

- "50 AU license". Does this mean a maximum of 50 applications per 'Auth Id' (from "list applications" output)?
    AU license seems to be more confusing, I think it's easier to just purchase PVU based license.

- Let's say, we purchase "200 PVU license" for this test server with 4 cores and install it. Can I use the same license file for other test and development v9.7 ESE servers with 4 (or even more) cores? I don't see why not, I think db2licm -a / db2start will work...

- "Maintenance includes IBM support and usually upgrade to next version at no cost if maintenance contract has been continuous since purchase." What's part of "upgrade to next version at no cost"?

If I have v9.7 and want to upgrade to v10 (for example), then I still need to purchase a license for v10 and only then can upgrade. Right? In this case, what is upgrade at no cost? IBM support during the upgrade?

- About v9.8. Can you install v9.8 and use it as ESE (no pureScale)?

Thank you. Some additional questions please:

- "50 AU license". Does this mean a maximum of 50 applications per 'Auth Id' (from "list applications" output)?
    AU license seems to be more confusing, I think it's easier to just purchase PVU based license.
    The users in that type of license are not applications, but actual humans. You are supposed to supply IBM (or keep records) of the name of each user. A particular user (such as in a test system) can have as many applications connections as they want. Users must include all users, and not just simultaneous users at any given time. Here is some info on authorized user licensing:
    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce.../r0053241.html

- Let's say, we purchase "200 PVU license" for this test server with 4 cores and install it. Can I use the same license file for other test and development v9.7 ESE servers with 4 (or even more) cores? I don't see why not, I think db2licm -a / db2start will work...
    You can use the same license file for all your servers. IBM does not typically supply seperate license files via Passport Advantage. IBM may ask for a report of all servers where you have DB2 installed, and has the right to do an audit to make sure you are paying for all the PVU's, etc you have licensed.

- "Maintenance includes IBM support and usually upgrade to next version at no cost if maintenance contract has been continuous since purchase." What's part of "upgrade to next version at no cost"?

If I have v9.7 and want to upgrade to v10 (for example), then I still need to purchase a license for v10 and only then can upgrade. Right? In this case, what is upgrade at no cost? IBM support during the upgrade?)
    If you purchase DB2 9.7 and also have it under a support contract, you can upgrade to V10 for free (support must be continuous).

- About v9.8. Can you install v9.8 and use it as ESE (no pureScale)?
    Probably yes, but not sure about that since it will eventually (10.1) be a feature added on to regular ESE (sort of like other features - Performance, Storage, etc). I think 9.7 is a pre-req for 9.8 but not sure how it is installed.

For a server with 4 CPU cores or less (or a larger server with only 4 cores needed for DB2), the DB2 Express Edition 12 month license and subscription only costs $3000 per server per year (support included), although it lacks such things as table partitioning and MQT, etc. DB2 instance memory is limited to 4 GB.
    DB2 features and functions by edition - IBM DB2 9.7 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows

For development and/or testing with a small number of users per server, IBM Database Enterprise Developer Edition may be best if you need all ESE features.
    Last edited by Marcus_A; 12-05-11 at 00:00.
    M. A. Feldman

At first, I didn't realize you don't pay for a new license when you upgrade (if support is continuous). They already have v9.1 ESE installed so v9.7 ESE license should be free.

Thanks for the info.

At first, I didn't realize you don't pay for a new license when you upgrade (if support is continuous). They already have v9.1 ESE installed so v9.7 ESE license should be free.

Thanks for the info.
    The way that you can know this for sure is to go to Passport Advantage using the customer account (you may need to have someone at the company authorize access, or do it for you).

In Passport Advantage you can see a list of all products that a customer is licensed (entitled) to use, and can download. You will need to at least download the DB2 9.7 license (usually called Activation) files since a different license file is needed for each release. Obviously, getting the license file is easier than getting the GA release which has the license file embedded in the download, since you will want to directly install the latest fixpack.

If the customer does not have access to Passport Advantage you will have to contact IBM for the physical media (install CD or DVD) assuming they are entitled.
    M. A. Feldman

I'll be with them starting January (internal IBM customer) and verify everything. Thanks.

I'll be with them starting January (internal IBM customer) and verify everything. Thanks.
    When I worked for IBM (a while ago) we had special use internal licenses that we got for free, however, that did not include support.
    M. A. Feldman

I'm not sure how they got their licenses... I see that some have License type: "Restricted" and some License type: "CPU". For example:

Product name: "DB2 Enterprise Server Edition"
    License type: "Restricted"
    Expiry date: "Permanent"
    Product identifier: "db2ese"
    Version information: "9.1"
    Annotation: "-4;(_o)"

License type: "CPU"

I think Restricted means db2 is bundled with another IBM product. I don't think I need to care if it's restricted or CPU as long as it's permanent and won't expire.

I'm not sure how they got their licenses... I see that some have License type: "Restricted" and some License type: "CPU". For example:

License type: "CPU"

I think Restricted means db2 is bundled with another IBM product. I don't think I need to care if it's restricted or CPU as long as it's permanent and won't expire.
    For the restricted license, you are right that it is most likely bundled with another IBM software product. To get the new DB2 9.7 restricted license, you will need to go to Passport Advantage and find the DB2 Download (or just DB2 9.7 activation license if you are lucky) underneath or within the particular IBM application software product download that is providing the DB2 restricted license. If that application software product doesn't officially support DB2 9.7 yet, you may be SOL.
    M. A. Feldman

If the product it's bundled with doesn't support v9.7, then we can stay on v9.1 and still have support after it goes out of support next April. I hope they took care of all the licenses they need to have in order to migrate to v9.7 before April.

If the product it's bundled with doesn't support v9.7, then we can stay on v9.1 and still have support after it goes out of support next April. I hope they took care of all the licenses they need to have in order to migrate to v9.7 before April.
    I think almost of the IBM applications support at least 9.5, but some have not gotten around to test with 9.7, so there may not be a license file in Passport Advantage for that particular product.

It's difficult to keep up with CPU licenses, since PVU prices go up almost everytime you install a new server with faster CPU's but higher PVU ratings. But I am surprised that internal IBM groups need licenses anyway, unless they are in outsourcing group that is running the system for a customer.
    M. A. Feldman

I'll find out more in Jan. Just getting ready in case questions about db2 licensing come up.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus_A View Post
    You can use the same license file for all your servers. IBM does not typically supply seperate license files via Passport Advantage. IBM may ask for a report of all servers where you have DB2 installed, and has the right to do an audit to make sure you are paying for all the PVU's, etc you have licensed.

DB2 is bundled with another IBM product. After installing DB2, db2licm returns:

[db2inst1@xxxxxxxx ~]$ db2licm -l
    Product name: "DB2 Workgroup Server Edition"
    Product identifier: "db2wse"
    Version information: "9.7"
    Max number of Value Units: "480"
    Max amount of memory (GB): "4"

For this Linux server, PVU's per core = 50

From http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/da...kopoulos1.html
    PVU limitations: DB2 Workgroup can be installed on a server with a maximum 480 PVU rating.

In another doc, I see the following for WSE:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    For Workgroup:
    • Starting from Sept 2011, there are no longer any limits on the physical server which makes Workgroup ideal for workload consolidation. Customers can install and run multiple copies of Workgroup on any size server but must use sub-capacity technologies like virtualization or LPAR to ensure DB2 doesn’t have access to more than 16 cores per installation.

• 480 PVU limit is also removed. Official license terms reflecting the above in DB2 Galileo GA, 9.7.0.6, 9.5.0.9.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not sure I understand this well enough

With v9.7 FP5, Can I use this restricted license file for multiple servers (exceeding 480/50 cores) without getting a violation if audited?

What about using this license file on multiple servers with v9.7 FP6 (when it becomes available)?

Hi,

the Limit for the RAM was raised aswell. I guess there must be a new license-file to use the new limits.
    Usally you can use these restriceted licenses for more than 1 Server, if it's dedicated to the product. Also afaik the PVU used for DB2 must not exceed the PVUs use by the product. But this depends on the product, so you should contact the Vendor to discuss things and ask for the new license file.