Unanswered: Enquires regarding MS Access...

Hi all, new here. =) Would appreciate your opinion on the following situation :

Long story short, my company (small/medium-sized) is looking into developing a database that will be run on a central server connected to only our internal PCs. In addition to the database, we will be developing several backend programs that are run automatically to manipulate data that is being entered or queried, so that it presents the information in a meaningful way to our staff.

Our vision currently is that :
    - There'll be a central server that all our PCs connect to, via LAN.
    - There are several backend programs on the server that manipulate the data.
    - There will be a standalone client program that offers users a menu of options to choose from (involving separate tasks). Upon selecting the option, the client will run the appropriate backend data manipulation program on the server to generate the needed data.

We are currently looking at using MS Access 2010, but after searching on the Web for more information, it's left me with several questions. =)

1. Am I correct in thinking that MS Access has no server capabilities of its own? How would I connect to the central database? What additional software would we need?

2. I did read about Runtime, but it appears as though runtime is basically a mini-version of Access, that it manipulates the database directly. Is it possible for us to create a standalone client program in VBA (that is installed on our office PCs) to perform the above task?

Those are my two main concerns at the moment, would appreciate any help you're able to give. Thanks!

1) Access has server capabilities of its own (of sorts). You can split your database into a front and back end. The back end containing just the tables (the data), then the front end, which is used by the user, and contains all your forms, queries, reports, etc., and simply 'links' to the data in the back end.

You'd normally keep a copy of Access and the front end file on every PC that wishes to use your database, and keep your back end file on your central server. That way, you can update the front end, and distribute it to anyone who needs it, without interrupting others use of the back end. This setup also allows multiple users to use the database simultaneously.

2) I don't have any experience with 'Runtime', but after searching quickly, it seems to be a slimmed down access. From what I've read here: Download: Microsoft Access 2010 Runtime - Microsoft Download Center - Download Details it seems that it contains the functionality of the entire Access 2010 package, but has had all its design components removed. I'm assuming to aid in the roll-out of a database front end to a large number of users.

From what I can see it seems that you can program and create your database through regular Access, split your database, then convert your front end to run with Microsoft Access 2010 Runtime and away you go.

Runtime just doesn't come with the ability to create or design, only to use what's already been made.
    Looking for the perfect beer...

Provided Answers: 59
    Access is a frnt end rapid design tool, it isn't a database. it can talk to virtually any data storage mechanism you want to use ranging from flat files, other office products (Excel, Wprd, Outlook), file server data storage such as Filemaker or JET (the default storage mechanism in Access) or full blown client server datastorage such as SQL server, MySQL, Oracle, DB2 and so on.

runtime provides a means for running Access applications licence free on MS Windows clients. I don't know about the most recent versions of runtime but in the past it has supported any access application to run irrespective of where the data is stored.

one thing to bear in mind with plain vanilla Access is that when talking to JET databases (the default style) then it tends to choke anywhere between 15 & 30 users, sometimes more sometimes less. in part this is the way the Access form & report designer work, in part down to network infrastructure. however carefull design can reduce the impact of that bottleneck, switching to a server backend can eliminate that bottleneck PROVIDING your application is designed to handle a server backend, and that means unbound controls, pass through queiries and so on.

if you are thinking of developing in Access then get some serious books (Access Developers Handbook [both books]) is always a good starting point, however I don't think its been updated since Access 2002/xp)
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Who is currently accessing backend ms access database?

Hi,

I need help on how to determine Who is currently accessing backend ms access database. If you have sample to share with is much appreciated. Also i wish to track what is he doing or what he/she does during that time.

Thanks

Provided Answers: 59
    there is some coded that can tell you which users and which computers are accessing an Access db
    How to determine who is logged on to a database by using Microsoft Jet UserRoster in Access

however that wont tell you who is doing what to what data. to do that you will have to change your applications to include an audit log
    https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=cr&...cess+audit+log
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton