Unanswered: Multi-tabled report

Good Morning,

I am needing some advice on how to setup a multi-table report. I have an incident report. Each incident can have multiple Action Plans and each action plan can have multiple follow ups. All of this information needs to be on one report. In all honesty I'm not sure even where to begin on this. Any help in this matter would be appreciated.

Provided Answers: 59
    sub reports would be the best way to go
    you cna have sub, sub reports so there is no reason why your report can't be fairly easily set up

start of with the lowest level then integrate it into the next level up using the requistie common factor
    eg if it was an order
    create your sub report detailing what items comprise an order, then 'stuff' that into the order report linking on order number
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Thanks for the reply. After I posted I started looking into subreports. First time to ever use them. Is "linking" a property of a subreport, or will I have to pass query paramaters to the subreport through VBA?

when you insert the sub report the control asks for what column(s) you want to link on. thats why I suggested you desing your forms / reports from the bottom up. complete the sub report first, then design the parent form and insert the sub report into that parent report. bear in mind you may loose some of the pretty features of Access reports

Thanks for the help so far, it is coming together quite nicely. However, I have hit a small snag and I'm not sure what is causing the issue. This is my reporting workflow.

[ID] [APID] [APFUID]
    Incident --> Action Plan --> Follow Up

As you suggested I have the follow up report created and stuck it into the Action Plan report. Works wonderful. Formating, grow shrink, my VBA in it all works. The master/child link from Action Plan to Follow up is ID;APID

Now the issue comes in when I attempt to put the ActionPlan/FollowUp report into the Incident report. Nothing at all shows up. It is linked by ID do you have any ideas as to where my issue might be between these reports?

This is what I get for posting, I think through the problem and solve it :P I restructures my queries and it is working now. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ericx1 View Post
    This is what I get for posting, I think through the problem and solve it :P I restructures my queries and it is working now. Thanks!
    good for you
    it can be tough to resist the temptation to post any and every problem on forums like this. Id argue that one of the key skills any developer needs to develop is how to debug faulty code. trying to work out why the code isn't doing what you think it should is the first step. proving each section or block is working is the next.

+1

I appreciate your help. I try not to post on here to much. I am still very new to programming with Access. I'm use to creating databases, not full fledge software devlopment. In any case this forum has been a tremendous help to me so far and hopefully I can become a true devloper one day. Thanks Again.