Thread: Interval Type

Unanswered: Interval Type

Has anyone tried to implement a time interval type in the form of a user defined type in SS2k8r2? Specicifically an interval type described in the book Temporal Data and the Relational Model by C. J. Date et al.

As an example, an interval is below:

1/4/2006:1/10/2006

which would mean the time period from 1/4 to 1/10.

Provided Answers: 4

Lightbulb

After having tried to use UDF's, I never use them again. I even stopped attempting to do so.

I would create two DATE columns, a FromDate and a TillDate to model a time interval. But then again, I am not C.J. Date. I could do whatever I wanted to do with them, and it would work and keep on working, but it is not a UDF, and as a consequence, a bad and retarded way to do things.
    With kind regards . . . . . SQL Server 2000/2005/2012
    Wim

Grabel's Law: 2 is not equal to 3 -- not even for very large values of 2.
    Pat Phelan's Law: 2 very definitely CAN equal 3 -- in at least two programming languages

User Defined Type

Wim discussed a User Defined Function, not a User Defined Type, which is quite different from what I am trying to do.

Implementing an interval type would drastically change the BI landscape. You wouldn't have to create a "cube" and create the messy SQL extension to handle it.

Provided Answers: 4
    Wim discussed a User Defined Function, not a User Defined Type, which is quite different from what I am trying to do.
    I'm sorry. I made a typo. There is nothing wrong with using User Defined Functions (UDF), I was definitely talking about User Defined Types (UDT). Perhaps there is a way to work efficiently with UDT's, but I haven't found it.

Let me correct my previous post:
    After having tried to use UDT's, I never use them again. I even stopped attempting to do so.

I would create two DATE columns, a FromDate and a TillDate to model a time interval. But then again, I am not C.J. Date. I could do whatever I wanted to do with them, and it would work and keep on working, but it is not a UDT, and as a consequence, a bad and retarded way to do things.
    With kind regards . . . . . SQL Server 2000/2005/2012
    Wim

Grabel's Law: 2 is not equal to 3 -- not even for very large values of 2.
    Pat Phelan's Law: 2 very definitely CAN equal 3 -- in at least two programming languages