Red face Unanswered: Creating a new DB2 instance from an old active instance in Control Center

Hi All

Is it possible to create a new DB2 instance with all schema and datat from an old yet active instance in Control Center.

I tried doing the backup of that old instance and then tried to create a new DB from that backup.But the problem is ,now both instances points to the same Tablespace.

Is it possible to like get the backup from one DB and then create a new DB and use that backup to have that schema and data but in new Tablespace.

Is it possible in Control Center or thorugh commands.?

I do not want to drop my old DB instance, I just want to create a new one from the old one.

DB2 V 9.7
    Last edited by xs2; 12-12-11 at 00:29. Reason: new line added

Provided Answers: 11
    an instance is just a user-environment where a db can be created and run
    you can not backup an instance
    you can create as many instances as you need/can
    a db can be restored in a different instance
    be more specific with the provided information so we see the picture..
    Best Regards, Guy Przytula
    Database Software Consultant
    Good DBAs are not formed in a week or a month. They are created little by little, day by day. Protracted and patient effort is needed to develop good DBAs.
    Spoon feeding : To treat (another) in a way that discourages independent thought or action, as by overindulgence.
    DB2 UDB LUW Certified V7-V8-V9-V9.7-V10.1-V10.5 DB Admin - Advanced DBA -Dprop..
    Information Server Datastage Certified
    http://www.infocura.be

Ok..
    I want to create a DB with same schema,Data whats there in another DB say DB1 .

is there any way to like take backup of DB1 and restore that image in DB2 , such that both DB do not share the same tablespace.

Hope its clear now..

yes it is
    have a look at redirected restore
    RESTORE DATABASE - IBM DB2 9.7 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    Good DBAs are not formed in a week or a month. They are created little by little, day by day. Protracted and patient effort is needed to develop good DBAs.
    Spoon feeding : To treat (another) in a way that discourages independent thought or action, as by overindulgence.
    DB2 UDB LUW Certified V7-V8-V9-V9.7-V10.1-V10.5 DB Admin - Advanced DBA -Dprop..

Thanks.

Is there any guide or set of process/commands that needs to be followed?

thanks..!!