Unanswered: Creating invoice#

Hi
    I have a Sql that creates Invoice numbers.
    The following query works it adds 1000+id no problem.
    But what I really would like is when an address is duplicate the invoice number would be the same as the first entry plus I would like to add -2 .
    for example the first address "12 huck st" would get invoice number 1000 when
    additional services are done to the same address the new invoice would become
    1000-2 and so on.
    Here is what I have so far

Code:
    SELECT JobName_tbl.JobAddress, JobName_tbl.JobCity, JobName_tbl.JobCivic, JobName_tbl.JobBuilder, [JobEntries_tbl.JobID]+1000 AS Order_Num, JobEntries_tbl.[JobID]
    FROM JobName_tbl LEFT JOIN JobEntries_tbl ON JobName_tbl.JobID = JobEntries_tbl.JobID;
    VIPER

Provided Answers: 59
    so write a function called say GetInvoiceNumber
    pass it whatever it needs to find an invoice
    if it finds an invoice add a "-" and +1 to the end of the current invoice
    if not create a new invoice
    if you create a new invoice number and you are in a multi user environment (ie more than one person could create a new invoice at the same time then you may need to consider table / record locks
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

thanks healdem

That was my next choice.
    Since I'm new to creating SQL's I was wondering if it would be possible creating a QUERY in acceess to get the same results.
    VIPER

yes
    you still have to 'ask' the db to find the next number. whether thats through you writing the SQL yourself or using an Access macro/function such as DMAX (which I'm absolutely certain behind the scenes is 'writing' the SQL for you).

the reason behind the function is that it encapsulates a piece of behaviour. if its a function and you require the same behaviour in this or another project then its a simple matter of exporting the function, rather than trying to track down the SQL. if you build a module with these sort of common(ish) functions then you have a portable library which you can use elsewhere.

Provided Answers: 8
    And use the dcount+1 Count the number of invoice that the system has created

I guess the main problem you are going to have is consistency of the address. 12 North Street isnt the same as 12 North St or 12 North St. or any other variations let alone capitalisation and or mispelling.