Thread: SQL Migration

Question Unanswered: SQL Migration

Hi Friends,

I'm running a Windows Server 2008 (64 bit). I did install SharePoint 2010 on it and SQL Server Express Edition installed with it. I started to use them. But now when my DB has reached to 4GB in size, I have tried to increase its size but then came to know that Express Edition of SQL do not support database size more than 4GB. Now I want a solution for it.
    Someone told me to install SQL Server 2008 (Standard or Enterprise Edition), then detach all of your databases from express edition and attach to newly installed server.
    I have some questions here, Will detaching and attaching will remove that 4GB limitation ? AND I am not able to find Detach Option for Master Database. Any Help to sort out this issue ? PLEASE

Regards,
    Farhan

Provided Answers: 54
    The simple answer is to:

1) Backup your server "as is" including Windows, SQL Server, SharePoint, etc.
    2) Make a second backup, just to be certain!
    3) Install SQL Standard or Enterprise Edition. It will detect the Express edition and offer to upgrade it to the new Edition.
    4) Test and retest to be sure that everything upgraded properly.
    5) Consume

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Phelan View Post
    The simple answer is to:

1) Backup your server "as is" including Windows, SQL Server, SharePoint, etc.
    2) Make a second backup, just to be certain!
    3) Install SQL Standard or Enterprise Edition. It will detect the Express edition and offer to upgrade it to the new Edition.
    4) Test and retest to be sure that everything upgraded properly.
    5) Consume

-PatP

I have just got a book "Beginning SharePoint 2010 Administration" by Goran Husman and Christian Stahl. Thanks to thses guys for writing such a beautiful book. I got the solution from this book but yet to be implement, once I got success, I'll post it here for your knowledge. Thanks a lot for your help guys... !

Cheers
    Farhan