Question Unanswered: Can I delete or remove archive log files before backup database?

Can I delete or remove archive log files before backup database? (Archive logs sink with database files?)

- How I can check completed backup files or not? (Have a method for checking?)

Thank you very much

if using db2 v9.1 or higher,db2 archive log file are stored at:

# db2 get db cfg for sample|grep LOGARCHMETH1
    First log archive method (LOGARCHMETH1) = OFF
    #

db2 list utilities show detail

or

db2top

show u if a backup is in progress.

Provided Answers: 11
    wait with removing logfiles till the backup has finished. if any file still needed, it will be included in backup file. after this you can cleanup - if not needed for recovery anymore
    eg. last backupfile corrupted - need to restore backupfile -1 and all logfiles in between..
    that you have to decide.. how many backupfiles do we keep and all logfiles in between
    Best Regards, Guy Przytula
    Database Software Consultant
    Good DBAs are not formed in a week or a month. They are created little by little, day by day. Protracted and patient effort is needed to develop good DBAs.
    Spoon feeding : To treat (another) in a way that discourages independent thought or action, as by overindulgence.
    DB2 UDB LUW Certified V7-V8-V9-V9.7-V10.1-V10.5 DB Admin - Advanced DBA -Dprop..
    Information Server Datastage Certified
    http://www.infocura.be

Quote Originally Posted by wolaos123 View Post
    if using db2 v9.1 or higher,db2 archive log file are stored at:

# db2 get db cfg for sample|grep LOGARCHMETH1
    First log archive method (LOGARCHMETH1) = OFF
    #

db2 list utilities show detail

or

db2top

show u if a backup is in progress.

thank you for your info,
    But If I will delete or move path archivelog files and db2diag.log, Its effect to backup process or backup files will completely?

Provided Answers: 11
    never do such an operation while backup is running - wait for it to terminate and then decide what to move where
    Best Regards, Guy Przytula
    Database Software Consultant
    Good DBAs are not formed in a week or a month. They are created little by little, day by day. Protracted and patient effort is needed to develop good DBAs.
    Spoon feeding : To treat (another) in a way that discourages independent thought or action, as by overindulgence.
    DB2 UDB LUW Certified V7-V8-V9-V9.7-V10.1-V10.5 DB Admin - Advanced DBA -Dprop..
    Information Server Datastage Certified
    http://www.infocura.be

Quote Originally Posted by ponk.nr View Post
    Can I delete or remove archive log files
    Please specify what you want to do. I fear that you want to remove those DB2-objects with non-db2 utilities on the file-system like "del" or "rm"... so DB2 looses track.

If you want to get rid of those files, always use the db2 "prune" command. If an object is still needed by db2, prune will refuse to delete it.... I would not have it any other way.