Unanswered: Informix engine or client ??

Hi Guys,

I am in need to know how to detect if an informix client is installed on the machine. For example if dbaccess is not part of the informix client then what other option is there for me to connect to remote databases via client.

Please help

Regards
    DBFinder

Quote Originally Posted by DBFinder View Post
    Hi Guys,

I am in need to know how to detect if an informix client is installed on the machine. For example if dbaccess is not part of the informix client then what other option is there for me to connect to remote databases via client.

Please help

Regards
    DBFinder
    Typical customer environments may have isql (Informix SQL) which is a client tool (text mode).
    There are also other tools that can run SQL against a remote database like sqlcmd which is available at the IIUG software repository (IIUG = International Informix User Group).

Besides that you can use JDBC...
    Most recent Client SDK versions already include dbaccess.

Regards.

Quote Originally Posted by domusonline View Post
    Typical customer environments may have isql (Informix SQL) which is a client tool (text mode).
    There are also other tools that can run SQL against a remote database like sqlcmd which is available at the IIUG software repository (IIUG = International Informix User Group).
    Regards.
    Thanks, good info.

Further the question is that : How can I detect which client can be used for running my script against remote server.

Currently my script is using dbaccess with following syntax. Some one raised question, what if dbaccess is not available ??

Code:
    dbaccess - conn.sql run.sql >${sub_out} 2>&1
    conn.sql is prepared at run time having a line like
    Code:
    connect to 'sysmaster$ifx040' user 'dbfinder' using 'dbfound';
    Where as run.sql contains various SQL scripts as needed.

So next task is to detect existance of 1) dbaccess 2) isql 3) sqlcmd . . . x) xsql,
    so that the script can choos a client to continue instead of aborting !!

Thanks for help

DBFinder

Provided Answers: 1
    Hi Db,

long time no talk :-)

Just to mess your life a bit more: why don't you take a look at Perl DBI::Informix module. You can rewrite the Query part of dbaccess in about 100 lines, comments and blank lines included. Just for fun!

Regards
    Eric

Eric,

Good Idea, I will do that later; current job ( project ) completes in a week, which is strictly a Korn Shell Script project.

Thanks for the idea.
    DBFinder