Thread: VBS Error

Unanswered: VBS Error

I am writing a vbs to open access and clone the file for each user, as to avoid some of the lock errors. However, I have hit a roadblock. Access will open, and it will save the new file with the username, but it doesn't open the database, and I keep receiving this error: "The command line you used to start Microsoft Access contains an option that Microsoft Access doesn't recognize." I can not seem to figure out what is causing this error.

Provided Answers: 59
    I can not seem to figure out what is causing this error.
    given the lack of information, no idea of the script you are running or the options you are starting Access neither can we

my guess would be that you are not supplying the right parameters to start Access. it could be because there is a space in say a filename. but as said above thats a guess as you haven't provided any information to go on
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

My VBS

I do have spaces in the file name, and the path. I've tried a couple of different solutions to get around the spaces to no avail. Here is what I have:

Set WshNetwork = CreateObject("WScript.Network")
    GetUser = WshNetwork.UserName
    Set WshNetwork = Nothing

LUName = "S:\CP_Students\2011\Fall 2011\Cory Colin\CSI Registrants2011-12\CSI REGISTRANTS.accdb"

oldname = LUName

newName = Replace(LUName, ".accdb", "") & GetUser & ".accdb"

retval = 0
    Dim objFSO
    Set objFSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")

retval = objFSO.CopyFile(oldname, newName, True)

Set objFSO = Nothing

Dim objShell
    Set objShell = CreateObject("Wscript.Shell")

objShell****n "MSACCESS.exe " & newName

Set objShell = Nothing

I'm not very talented with computer language, so I've patched together some other scripts I've used to the best of my ability. This is what I've come up with, and obviously it is not correct.

Thanks

try
    LUName = "S:\CP_Students\2011\Fall20~1\CoryCo~1\CSIReg~1\CS IReg~1.accdb"
    8.3 filename - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

to convert long file names to 8.3 format
    drop any spaces, take the first 6 characters use a tilde ~ and a single digit number indicating the index of the file
    the potential issue you have is

LUName = "S:\CP_Students\2011\Fall 2011\Cory Colin\CSI Registrants2011-12\CSI REGISTRANTS.accdb"
    csi registrants 2011-12
    csi registrants 2012-13
    would both have the same initial 6 characters
    csireg
    one would be ~1, one ~2, Im guessing base on the age of the files creation or possibly filename.
    you will run out of filenames after 9, possibly 10.

New Error

Ok, I've replaced the path with 6 characters and tilde and now it's telling me there is an error in this line:

retval = objFSO.CopyFile(oldname, newName, True)

It is no longer opening access.

and the error message is?
    the values of the variable used int he method call to the File System Object. are?

no wait, doesn't matter, I'll just get me crystal ball and scriving mirror out and I'm sure we will all be able to work out what is going wrong with your script

OK on the count of 3, lets turn the lights down low, everyone from a circle and hold hands mumbling some arcane chant and we work out the code from the thoughts of a dead programmer who intends to pass a message from the other side

800A0035 file not found