Unanswered: how to create user in db2 with limited priviliges

Dear all,
    i am using db2 9.1(linux),
    aprat from db2inst1, i want to create another user with limited priviliges,
    pls help me out.

i created one user namely brcp and i add tat user to db2grp1 , i tried to login through that user and executed db2 command
    it is db2 is not found ??
    i am unable to found .profile in /home/db2inst1

1)what are the additional activites i have to do???

2)GRANT DELETE ON TABLE SCHEMA_NAME.TABLE_NAME TO USER RAMU

2a)before running above command what are activities i have to perform on user RAMU
    2b)from where (Root or db2inst1 and path ) i have to run the above command???
    Last edited by ravichandrapratap; 12-30-11 at 04:37.

DB2 uses operating system authentication. You must add the user via a Linux command such as the useradd command. The home directory of If you have questons about this, contact a Linux system administrator or a Linux forum.

If you already created the new Linux user account with with useradd, you will probably want to copy the .bashrc and .bash_profile files from db2inst1 to your new user home directory, assuming you are using the bash shell (default shell for Linux).
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus_A View Post
    DB2 uses operating system authentication. You must add the user via a Linux command such as the useradd command. The home directory of If you have questons about this, contact a Linux system administrator or a Linux forum.

If you already created the new Linux user account with with useradd, you will probably want to copy the .bashrc and .bash_profile files from db2inst1 to your new user home directory, assuming you are using the bash shell (default shell for Linux).
    Thankuuuuuuuuuuuuu sooooooooo much Marcus, its working fine .....

Provided Answers: 11
    I would NEVER do that :
    you will probably want to copy the .bashrc and .bash_profile files from db2inst1 to your new user home directory, assuming you are using the bash shell (default shell for Linux).

if db2inst1 needs some specific settings, these will also be set for the other userid
    the best would be to create a user instance for this user, so he will get his own profile and settings and will be independant from db2Inst1
    Best Regards, Guy Przytula
    Database Software Consultant
    Good DBAs are not formed in a week or a month. They are created little by little, day by day. Protracted and patient effort is needed to develop good DBAs.
    Spoon feeding : To treat (another) in a way that discourages independent thought or action, as by overindulgence.
    DB2 UDB LUW Certified V7-V8-V9-V9.7-V10.1-V10.5 DB Admin - Advanced DBA -Dprop..
    Information Server Datastage Certified
    http://www.infocura.be