Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: jar file

Unanswered: jar file

Does the jar file need to be updated / reinstalled when upgrading db2 server? How do you reinstall it?

Do you mean on a client? The old version will usually work fine unless it is several releases back, but it usually best to have the same release level, even if not the same fixpack as the server. If the release and fixpack levels are the not the same on client and sever, you may have to run bind commands from the client for utilities, etc.

To upgrade it on a client using a type 4 Universal Driver connection (which only requires the jar files), just copy the new jar files to the same location on the client. The new jar files can be downloaded separately, or are included with DB2 Server (usually in $HOME/sqllib/java).

If using a type 2 connection (or type 2 and type 4), then upgrade the entire DB2 client.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

The jar files are on the separate servers (there is no db2 server or client installed there). I know this part for sure. I think applications are using it to get data from the mainframe (using jdbc). The db2 servers used by these LUW applications will be upgraded from v9.1 to v9.5 / v9.7. I was told that the application teams will have to upgrade the jar files, but we have to provide it to them. Does this make sense? Not sure if I got this right...

Are "jar files" part of "IBM Data Server Driver for JDBC and SQLJ" I see on the fixpack download page?

Quote Originally Posted by db2girl View Post
    The jar files are on the separate servers (there is no db2 server or client installed there). I know this part for sure. I think applications are using it to get data from the mainframe (using jdbc). The db2 servers used by these LUW applications will be upgraded from v9.1 to v9.5 / v9.7. I was told that the application teams will have to upgrade the jar files, but we have to provide it to them. Does this make sense? Not sure if I got this right...

Are "jar files" part of "IBM Data Server Driver for JDBC and SQLJ" I see on the fixpack download page?
    If the DB2 client is not installed, then the application is using the jdbc type 4 Universal Driver, and only the jar files are needed. You can just get the latest jar files and manually and replace the old ones.

You can find the jar files on a DB2 server at $HOME/sqllib/java, on any DB2 client, or download them separately from the "IBM Data Server Driver for JDBC and SQLJ" as you mentioned above. They do not need to be "installed" in the traditional sense, just manually copy the jar files to the correct location on the application server (same location as they are at now).
    M. A. Feldman

As Marcus mentioned, either you can simply copy these jar's or download from fix central.

IBM IBM Data Server Client Packages Version 9.7 Fix Pack 5 - United States

If I understand this correctly, I can upgrade db2 server and then give all files in $HOME/sqllib/java to the appl people. Are they platform independent? Can I use the same set of files for AIX and Linux?

There is db2java.zip in $HOME/sqllib/java. I've always wondered how this zip file is used. Does it get unzipped at some point?

If I understand this correctly, I can upgrade db2 server and then give all files in $HOME/sqllib/java to the appl people. Are they platform independent? Can I use the same set of files for AIX and Linux?

There is db2java.zip in $HOME/sqllib/java. I've always wondered how this zip file is used. Does it get unzipped at some point?
    If the application is using the type 4 universal url driver (most likely) then you only need the following files:

• db2jcc.jar
    • db2jcc_license_cu.jar (if connecting directly to z/OS or iSeries, you will also need db2jcc_license_cisuz.jar which comes with DB2 Connect).

I believe they are platform independent, but not sure. You will probably need add the location of the above files to the java class path on the applicaiton client, unless you put it in a location already in the java class path.

I believe that db2java.zip is for the APP driver (COM.ibm.db2.jdbc.app.DB2Driver) which is deprecated. But you would not need to unzip it (this is a java thing).
    Last edited by Marcus_A; 01-05-12 at 01:21.
    M. A. Feldman

When you say "if connecting directly to z/OS", you mean that DB2 Connect is installed on the same server as the application/jar files?

Sorry for asking all these questions... I've never had to deal with applications/DB2 connection to z/OS before.

When you say "if connecting directly to z/OS", you mean that DB2 Connect is installed on the same server as the application/jar files?

Sorry for asking all these questions... I've never had to deal with applications/DB2 connection to z/OS before.
    All of the necessary code to connect to z/OS is now actually built into every DB2 client (including the DB2 universal driver with only a jar file). The only thing that is needed is a DB2 Connect License, in addition to the regular jar client license (which is free).
    M. A. Feldman

Thanks for your help!

Is there some commmand to check the version of:

-rwxr-xr-x 1 was1 wasgroup 2113391 Sep 25 2009 db2jcc.jar
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 was1 wasgroup 2068 Jul 14 2009 db2jcc_license_cisuz.jar
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 was1 wasgroup 1015 Sep 25 2009 db2jcc_license_cu.jar

As per our doc, it's v9.1 FP8, but how to I verify this? DB2 is not installed on these servers.

Another question: How is DB2 Connect license, db2jcc_license_cisuz.jar, priced? Can we use the same license file for multiple application servers (all for WebSphere)? Audit related.

Another question: How is DB2 Connect license, db2jcc_license_cisuz.jar, priced? Can we use the same license file for multiple application servers (all for WebSphere)?
    You can use the same license file for all servers (IBM does not issue separate license files in Passport Advantage for each copy you have purchased, and some licenses are for Enterprise Unlimited).

How is it priced? That is a bit complicated, and has changed over the last few releases, so 9.1 licensing for DB2 Connect may be different than 9.7. Some companies have an Enterprise Unlimited license, but not sure about 9.1.
    M. A. Feldman

In some doc, I found:

"How can I prove when I bought my copy of DB2?
    Passport Advantage keeps the original date of your DB2 purchase. The principal DB2 edition part numbers do not change between Versions. The only way to confirm which Version you bought is from the purchase dates stored in your Passport Advantage record."
    Last edited by db2girl; 02-07-12 at 21:58.

Previously (I don't recall when it changed, but definitely for V8), DB2 ESE came with a 5 user license for DB2 Connect. Now (definitely in 9.7, but not sure about 9.1) it only comes with a trial license for DB2 Connect on the server where ESE is intalled, and one can see the DB2 Connect license expire date with db2licm -l (even if your ESE is a permanent license).

It is "possible" that 9.1 may still have the permanent DB2 Connect licenses with ESE installed, but I would not think it comes with unlimited client licenses that you are allowed to put on clients where ESE is not intalled. You could set up a ESE server as a DB2 Connect Gateway to z/OS using the free DB2 Connect License (limit of 5 users at one time) if your 9.1 inlcudes them (not sure), but licensing each client directly to z/OS may be different. The jar files should be in the <instance_home>/sqllib/java directory, IIRC.

It is not my understanding that, even though a DB2 Connect 5 user license came with DB2 V8 ESE, that one gets a free DB2 Connect license when upgrading to a newer version of DB2 ESE that does not include the permanent DB2 Connect License. But I don't know for sure, since my company has a DB2 Connect Unlimited License that we use.

You may need to contact an IBM Marketing Rep to help you sort things out, especially since you are apparently still using 9.1 Server.
    M. A. Feldman

v9.1 LUW servers should be upgraded to v9.5 or v9.7 by the end of April.

For WAS appl servers, I'm not sure why some have v9.1 jar files and others have v9.7 jar files. I think we're going to "upgrade" (copy db2jcc.jar) all of them to v9.7 by the end of April as well. I found how to verify the db2jcc.jar version here: http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docvie...id=swg21363866

Based on what I've read, db2jcc_license_cisuz.jar is the same file for all DB2 releases. If it's the same, then I guess it doesn't really matter what version of DB2 Connect product we have an entitlement for (?) if we do.

I'm not sure if they have an IBM Rep, I suppose they do. I'll check about their IBM rep and probably open a pmr.

Thank you.
    Last edited by db2girl; 02-05-12 at 01:00.