Unanswered: You cant save this record at this time error

Hi

I wonder if anyone can help.

We have a database stored on a network drive used by a number of people accross the organisation over a Windows XP Network.

I have an strange issue where some users get the error attached when trying to ammend a record. However other users are able to ammend the very same records.

All the relevant user/windows permissions are identical. There is no security/permissions settings on the database for it to behave in this manner.

Any help on this would much appreciated.

Thanks in advanced

Mohamed
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Database error.jpg  

Provided Answers: 19
    From your post I'm assuming that this database has not been split into a Front End/Back End configuration.

Having multi‑users sharing a single, non‑split database, sitting on a network drive is the sure way to repeated episodes of corruption. Multi‑users simply have to work off of a split database, with each user having their own copy of the Front End, with everything except the data/tables, on their respective hard drives, and a Back End with the tables/data on a shared drive.

Being in forced retirement, I spend 6-8 hours a day here and on other Access forums/newsgroups, and over the past six years have seen dozens and dozens of reports similar to yours! The really insidious thing is that they can work for extended periods before going bad. But once it does, the corruption becomes chronic, which is to say it occurs over and over and over again!

The record, by the way, was a non-split db that had been working, without problems, for 14 years! It then started exhibiting the exact same symptom you describe here.

In this scenario you simply have to bite the bullet and split your database.

Linq ;0)>
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Thank you for your reply

I have split the database but I am still getting the same error when trying to update records

Provided Answers: 19
    Is the Back End with data on the shared drive and a copy of the Front End on each user's PC?
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Hi

Yes, the back end is on the shared drive and the front end is on the users PC