Unanswered: Problem caused by server upgrade to MySQL 5.1

Hi, I am desperately hoping someone could maybe help with a problem. I have a client who's website will not load due to the hosting server being upgraded to MySQL5.1.

Error message is....

DB Error: connect faileddb_error Object
    (
    [error_message_prefix] =>
    [error_prepend] =>
    [error_append] =>
    [mode] => 16
    [level] => 1024
    [code] => -24
    [message] => DB Error: connect failed
    [debuginfo] =>
    [userinfo] => [nativecode=Client does not support authentication protocol requested by server; consider upgrading MySQL client]
    [callback] => errhndl
    )

Technical support have advised

The server your client is hosted on was recently upgraded to MySQL 5.1. This version removes support for some old authentication methods.

My expectation is that your client will need to either upgrade the MySQL application he is using, or configure the existing version to use an alternate method to connect to the MySQL database.
    Does anyone know if there is a way round this problem. I have tried to be brief so I hope it all makes sense. Also I should say I am a total novice when it comes to coding etc.

Many thanks

Jim

so not only the errror message itself, but also the tech support people have advised you to upgrade your application code

if you can't do this, you'll need to hire someone (hint: that's not me)
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

Provided Answers: 59
    make ceetain the web server is using the correct library. that may well require a rebuild of the server and or wahtever web server scripting language you are using
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

healdem, wouldn't rebuilding the server (after the upgrade to 5.1) have been the responsibility of the web host's tech support staff?
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

Provided Answers: 59
    should have been,assuming the server is managed by the ISP. but if its managed by the OP it could well be his responsibility.
    it could be that the ISP haven't fully migrated the update through all their servers but in the absence of knowing what the set up (ie is it a webserver, is it a remote hosted db its hard to say. we don't know what application software is being used to access the server.. ot could be the end user needs to update their application).
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Thanks for your replies, managed to sort it out with the help of a friend who knows about these things.

It was as simple as setting the PHP configuration to process the .php file extension by "default" in the users CPanel. It was set to be processed by PHP4

Thanks again

Jim